Endgame IEM purchase decision
Oct 6, 2022 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

promodelky

New Head-Fier
Dear lovely and more experienced folks,

Will require your help in making a purchase decision for my second endgame iems. I am currently daily driving a tia fourte noir.

Am deciding between these two iems:

1) Empire ears Odin
2) Vision Ears Phonix
3) Others: pls suggest

They are quite pricy and stuff so I wish to have some advice before plunging in.

Thanks in advance guys

Oct 6, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 18
Ok, so let me ask this question. When these "endgames" cost $5,000 or more, how much are they different from, let's say, a $2,500 one?

The issue I have with high-end audio is this; you can measure the right things and measure the irrelevant things. A lot of reviews are subjective and contradictive, that's likely down to previous purchases, expectations, and your ears (if you got perfect hearing or not).

Now you can try to measure if something is "perfect," but if no one can hear it... what does it matter? I can argue it says something about the overall quality, but that's about it. It might not do anything for my listening experience.

So as I plan to fork out 1000s on both open-back headphones and IEM - how in the h&ell.... can I even know I am making the right choice?

I don't have $15K to burn, so I have to make some choices.... Does a $2,500 IEM sound like a closed-back headphone, more like an open-back? How can I even compare the two... If I spend too much money on open-back's, I'll have less to spend on the IEM, and vice versa.
Could I even find an IEM within 10% of Hifiman open-back SE1000 v2 and possibly spend all my money on an IEM?

This is what keeps me awake at night LOL.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 18
Ok, so let me ask this question. When these "endgames" cost $5,000 or more, how much are they different from, let's say, a $2,500 one?

The issue I have with high-end audio is this; you can measure the right things and measure the irrelevant things. A lot of reviews are subjective and contradictive, that's likely down to previous purchases, expectations, and your ears (if you got perfect hearing or not).

Now you can try to measure if something is "perfect," but if no one can hear it... what does it matter? I can argue it says something about the overall quality, but that's about it. It might not do anything for my listening experience.

So as I plan to fork out 1000s on both open-back headphones and IEM - how in the h&ell.... can I even know I am making the right choice?

I don't have $15K to burn, so I have to make some choices.... Does a $2,500 IEM sound like a closed-back headphone, more like an open-back? How can I even compare the two... If I spend too much money on open-back's, I'll have less to spend on the IEM, and vice versa.
Could I even find an IEM within 10% of Hifiman open-back SE1000 v2 and possibly spend all my money on an IEM?

If I’m going to drop $5K or even $2.5K I’m definitely going to listen to them before I buy them. If you are in the States there are 3 CanJam‘s SoCal,Chicago and NYC where just about every TOTL headphone or IEM will be there to audition so you will know which one is right for you. Yes this is a added cost and if your tight on cash you might have to save up a bit longer but you will have a better idea of what you want and it is a really good time . Had a great conversation with Jerry Harvey at the bar while we were both taking a break from the show.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 18
If I’m going to drop $5K or even $2.5K I’m definitely going to listen to them before I buy them. If you are in the States there are 3 CanJam‘s SoCal,Chicago and NYC where just about every TOTL headphone or IEM will be there to audition so you will know which one is right for you. Yes this is a added cost and if your tight on cash you might have to save up a bit longer but you will have a better idea of what you want and it is a really good time . Had a great conversation with Jerry Harvey at the bar while we were both taking a break from the show.
Yea there’s time too… kids and work and girlfriends… anyone know of a place in Austin TX? I know Focal has a dealer here

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 18
Yea there’s time too… kids and work and girlfriends… anyone know of a place in Austin TX? I know Focal has a dealer here
Wow 2 days well pretty much 4 with travel out of 365 and that’s a problem? You don’t get time off at work at all ? Family yes the most important thing to me as well but they don’t allow you 4 days out of the year to do something you would like to do?
Damn I feel sorry for you.

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Wow 2 days well pretty much 4 with travel out of 365 and that’s a problem? You don’t get time off at work at all ? Family yes the most important thing to me as well but they don’t allow you 4 days out of the year to do something you would like to do?
Damn I feel sorry for you.
An ex asking for money, kids wanting to go places, travel with work, holiday with girlfriend - yea 4 days to do what I want isn’t happening anytime soon lol.

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 18
A holiday to canjam. She will love it!

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 18

You can't compare headphones to IEMs. The 2 trandsucers have their pros and cons, generally headphones have superior soundstage, whereas IEMs are more for their portability and perhaps isolation (though they generally have in your head soundstage). So they are complementary rather than competing.

From the midFI IEMs ($100 - 500 USD) region to > $1K IEMs, there are already huge diminishing returns. You are paying 10x more for perhaps 20% improvement in technicalities. From $2000 -> $5000 USD, the differences are even more marginal. Even TOTL IEMs have weaknesses, and price does not correlate with enjoyability or even sonic fidelity. I would strongly suggest for gear > $500, best to not do a blind purchase and best that you go down to a shop to audition it first, or perhaps some online shops with a returns policy. Would be a mega white elephant if you spring a purchase of a few thousand bucks and not like the sound or fitting.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 18
You can't compare headphones to IEMs. The 2 trandsucers have their pros and cons, generally headphones have superior soundstage, whereas IEMs are more for their portability and perhaps isolation (though they generally have in your head soundstage). So they are complementary rather than competing.

From the midFI IEMs ($100 - 500 USD) region to > $1K IEMs, there are already huge diminishing returns. You are paying 10x more for perhaps 20% improvement in technicalities. From $2000 -> $5000 USD, the differences are even more marginal. Even TOTL IEMs have weaknesses, and price does not correlate with enjoyability or even sonic fidelity. I would strongly suggest for gear > $500, best to not do a blind purchase and best that you go down to a shop to audition it first, or perhaps some online shops with a returns policy. Would be a mega white elephant if you spring a purchase of a few thousand bucks and not like the sound or fitting.
This. I'd much rather a cheaper bit of kit, performing above its weight, and being impressed, than top end of expensive gear, and arguing to myself of the minutest performance increase Vs ££ spent

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 18
This. I'd much rather a cheaper bit of kit, performing above its weight, and being impressed, than top end of expensive gear, and arguing to myself of the minutest performance increase Vs ££ spent
Which was my point here in some ways - there’s really no way to know this without looking at 100’s of options as there’s not even close to a respectable measurement and that goes for the objective measurements… there’s no real ranking/tco. Warranty, drop tests, cost, can pads be replaced, etc etc for headphones. For IEM’s I’d take 2 $500 any day than to drop and break one for $1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back