Endgame headphone: Which would you choose?
Feb 23, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #16 of 22
For me, there's no such thing as an endgame headphone. If I could afford to buy TOTL flagships, I couldn't just own one, I would need to own many. Head-fi is a journey, not a destination...
wink.gif

The premise of the thread is to pretend this were a "getting in a space ship to Jupiter" scenario, where each of us could only take one headphone. So which one would you choose, and, most importantly, why.

There have been some interesting, thoughtful perspectives so far. :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #17 of 22
The best end game transducers for me--money no limit--would be a dedicated listening room/HT room with room treatments, speakers, and subs. But it would cost a good bit more money than a dedicated headphone setup
biggrin.gif

No fair. How about which one headphone only? :)

This thread is strictly for fun, but so far it's interesting how it's revealing the characteristics of particular headphones that individuals like/prefer the most.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 22
No fair. How about which one headphone only? :)

This thread is strictly for fun, but so far it's interesting how it's revealing the characteristics of particular headphones that individuals like/prefer the most.

This is for fun. Now that Dolby Atmos is out, when coupled with multichannel (or multi object) audio, the best headphone-like immersion experience will be the one you can sit inside of :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #20 of 22
I've auditioned just about all the "end game" type headphones recently, with the exception of Stax and Abyss because I just refuse to pay that much for cans, and don't want to be tempted either, lol.   This week I've narrowed things down and I'm now currently auditioning a "finalists" batch that I will eventually choose just one from to include in my personal collection.   My finalists being the HD800, TH900, LCD XC, and LCD 3.

As I near decision time, and after taking into account sound first and then also comfort, esthetics, and practical considerations, I'd have to say the Audeze LCD XC is starting to look like the clear winner for me.   It's a closed-back that sounds like an open back, with an amazing sound stage and imaging.   It has fantastic bass texture and extension, glorious mids typical of most Audeze cans, and it doesn't cheat you on the treble department like many planar magnetics cans are known to do.   There isn't a musical genre that it can't handle and it's surprisingly quick and non-resonant in the lower frequencies for a closed-back design.   Best of all, it's so efficient that even though it really shines with a good amp, it still sounds great straight out of an iPhone, macbook, or any other portable device without additional amplification.  Only downside, aside from being one of the most expensive cans, is that it's not the most comfortable to wear, especially compared to the others in this group, mainly due to its sheer weight.   It's not terrible though, and once I start listening, the sound is so spectacular that I mostly forget about any ergonomic shortcomings it has.   And after learning that I can actually enjoy wearing it in excess of several hours without much discomfort, I can suck it up for the sake of sound and would definitely choose it as THE ONE.... if I could have just one :)

The fact that it leaks the least amount of sound and has the best isolation out of anything else in this group is just icing on the cake.

I might still change my mind of course :wink: I have until around friday to decide.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 22
  I've auditioned just about all the "end game" type headphones recently, with the exception of Stax and Abyss because I just refuse to pay that much for cans, and don't want to be tempted either, lol.   This week I've narrowed things down and I'm now currently auditioning a "finalists" batch that I will eventually choose just one from to include in my personal collection.   My finalists being the HD800, TH900, LCD XC, and LCD 3.

As I near decision time, and after taking into account sound first and then also comfort, esthetics, and practical considerations, I'd have to say the Audeze LCD XC is starting to look like the clear winner for me.   It's a closed-back that sounds like an open back, with an amazing sound stage and imaging.   It has fantastic bass texture and extension, glorious mids typical of most Audeze cans, and it doesn't cheat you on the treble department like many planar magnetics cans are known to do.   There isn't a musical genre that it can't handle and it's surprisingly quick and non-resonant in the lower frequencies for a closed-back design.   Best of all, it's so efficient that even though it really shines with a good amp, it still sounds great straight out of an iPhone, macbook, or any other portable device without additional amplification.  Only downside, aside from being one of the most expensive cans, is that it's not the most comfortable to wear, especially compared to the others in this group, mainly due to its sheer weight.   It's not terrible though, and once I start listening, the sound is so spectacular that I mostly forget about any ergonomic shortcomings it has.   And after learning that I can actually enjoy wearing it in excess of several hours without much discomfort, I can suck it up for the sake of sound and would definitely choose it as THE ONE.... if I could have just one :)

The fact that it leaks the least amount of sound and has the best isolation out of anything else in this group is just icing on the cake.

I might still change my mind of course :wink: I have until around friday to decide.

Have you tried the KOSS electrostatic to compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back