Endgame Amp/Dac Recommendations for low impedence headphones/IEM?
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

His Lorship

New Head-Fier
Grado10e
ATHA990Z

Is there a cost effective solution that works great for lower impedance stuff? I would like to have good quality audio.

This will be a second dac/amp primarily for work. Still deciding between a magni/modi or a ifi micro black label for my "primary" setup...

I may consider a second magni/modi if there isn't a better solution for low impedance stuff listed above. Portable is not necessary.

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 18
Why does it have to be "endgame" at work? Get something like the E10K and then whatever you save, add it to what you'll get for use at home, where you can do critical listening with no distractions.

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 18
I like the Chord Mojo a lot more than the iFi micro iDSD. (As well as any entry-level Schiit.) Since it's also portable, you could take it anywhere with you and potentially even sell off some of the gear you used at home if you're willing to move the gear each time. Or you could keep one system at work and one at home, depending on preference.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 18
I use a chord mojo at work, attached to my fiio x5 iii with two elastic bands. I attach my meze 99s and all is good. I won't have a different set up for home and work

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 18
Hmm Chord Mojo seems to be a widely popular (and positively reviewed) choice. I like the plug it in and forget it aspect. 500$ though.. That's two schiit stacks... Alchemist have you tried the iFi Micro black label? Why do you like the Chord Mojo better?

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 18
I use a chord mojo at work, attached to my fiio x5 iii with two elastic bands. I attach my meze 99s and all is good. I won't have a different set up for home and work
Another vote for the Chord Mojo... I might have to just bite the bullet.
Why do you run the Mojo with the fiio? Is the fiio alone not able to drive your headphones? Is this an amplifier deficiency or is the Chord DAC better, or both?

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 18
if you want an all in one solution you cannot go wrong with the JDS Labs Element, dead silent with IEM's yet can still output a lot of power for full size headphones. It also looks great.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 18
Alchemist have you tried the iFi Micro black label? Why do you like the Chord Mojo better?

No, I had the original iFi micro iDSD, which I used with both headphones and speakers. I only used the Mojo with headphones at the time because I had not gotten my speakers yet. When used with speakers, I thought the DAC in the iFi was only slightly better than the $99 Fulla 2 and much worse than the $249 Modi Multibit. (I did make sure to use the iFi in DAC only mode via a Schiit SYS passive preamp. It's more colored when used in DAC/amp mode.) With headphones, I preferred the sound of the Mojo over the iFi by a landslide.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Hmm I just found the for sale forum.. Seeing half a dozen Ifi Micro black label for sale and 0 Chord Mojo for sale may be telling... Goodnight for now
Could be that it comes bundled with the LCD headphones and selling it makes the LCD much more affordable.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 18
Just got my Mojo today and it is as good as advertised. I've heard it several times but different when you get to hear it on your gear. It will not replace the Yggy but it is good. Have not tried all my headphones as I need a adapter but as a dac it is very good.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 18
Hmm I just found the for sale forum.. Seeing half a dozen Ifi Micro black label for sale and 0 Chord Mojo for sale may be telling... Goodnight for now

Shoulda looked harder. (Such as in both the source components and amplification for sale/trade sections.) There was at least one Mojo available, but... [see below]

Just got my Mojo today and it is as good as advertised. I've heard it several times but different when you get to hear it on your gear. It will not replace the Yggy but it is good. Have not tried all my headphones as I need a adapter but as a dac it is very good.

I'm about to buy my second Mojo. I used the first one with all sorts of headphones, and it was by far my favorite DAC/amp. After getting speakers, I upgraded to the 2Qute and other DACs, but sold/traded them. I'm curious to hear how the Mojo will sound with the speakers.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 18
Ok well I'm pretty much sold on the Mojo... I'm tired of researching and after dozens upon dozens of articles and posts I have read negligible poor reviews. It looks like a good bang for the buck and appears to be one of the last stops before major diminishing returns for mid/high end gear. I do like the portability and would probably not be a major hassle to take to and from work if I wanted to.

Now I will wait to find a good deal on a used one, or get tired of waiting and buy a schiit stack which also appears to be well respected among the audio community. By every indication the Mojo is slightly superior to the Schiit M/M stack, but probably not a better buy than two stacks for the same price point at the expense of mobility...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back