End of my mid-fi journey: From Sennheiser to Sennheiser, via Beyerdynamic
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
An update on some earlier posts.

I started my audiophile journey about 8 years ago when I was fed up with my $30 Sony headphones (boosted bass....pheh!) and talked myself into buying $100 Sennheiser 448s. They were so-so, but compared to the $30 cans, amazing. Then I decided I needed IEMs, so I talked myself into $200 Fischer DBA-02s. I mention the prices because I think there's an evolution that is part of this hobby, an evolution in one's views on what represents an acceptable price to pay. Most people balk at even $100, as was the case for me. But thanks to the Fischers, $200 seemed reasonable. I got it.

Next stop: I wanted cans again. A pair for home, and a pair for the office. I opted on closed DT770s for the office and DT880s for the home. And amps to power them. The 880s have more detail than the 770s and brighter sound, although I noticed in time that the treble hurts my ears. The 770s don't, and although there's less detail, the fuller body and better bass can be a plus.

Next: The brightness of the 880s became too much, so I picked up a pair of HD650s. That's better! Fuller body, better bass, no treble issues. To be clear, sometimes, for some music, I prefer the 880s and might have stuck with them if it weren't for the discomfort. But other times the fuller body of the HD650s and bass make music more impactful. Thrilling, even.

Keep in mind that I listen primarily to classical. Which means that bass is good, but there can't be too much. The 880s arguably have just the right amount, or perhaps a smidge too little, but to my mind that's better than having more bass than is natural. Also, there's a downside to the greater bass and body of the HD650s: I'm never unaware that the cans are coloring the sound, even if only just a bit. The extra bit of oomph is always noticeable, even if I like it. With pop/rock, I don't think I care. But with classical, I do, a little. I'm aware of it, and I think it would be better if there were just a wee bit less...if only I could have the 880s, but just a tad less bright, and with a tad more body...

Which brings me to what I believe to be the end of my mid-fi journey: yesterday I picked up a pair of HD600s. What's the difference? I perceive the sound to be more honest. There's nothing missing, and nothing added. Just the music. There's a bit less bass, yes, but in return the mids seem stronger, i guess making for a relatively flat sound across the spectrum. The headphones get out of the way. With some pieces I miss the extra thrill that comes from the slight coloration offered by the 650s, but most of the time I value the neutrality. And both cans offer remarkable detail. So good. Of course, now I have to decide which Sennheiser to leave at home, and which to have at the office.

Is this the end of my audiophile journey? Of course not, although I know that I'll have to spend roughly twice as much as I did for either Sennheiser to acquire anything meaningfully "better," as opposed to simply different. I'm done with "mid-fi." Next stop: DT1990s....or, heck, why not? Stax!....:) I turn 50 in two years. What better excuse is there for splurging on something as irrational as a $1000+ pair of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back