End of Life and Sale on Mad Dog and Alpha Headphones
May 18, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #17 of 126
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 126
Will there eventually be a closed successor to th alpha dog ?

you aren't going to get any official word, but I would imagine that with the discontinuation of their fostex driver line-up, there will be quite a few large gaps in their product line that will need to be filled.

what I would like to see is:
1) a portable closed planar magnetic in the mid-fi $300-$700 price range (preferably in the $400-500 region which I see as a much more competitive price point) to compete with the PM-3 and EL-8.
2) Then perhaps a more affordable open sub-$1k type headphone.
3) finally, a flagship closed headphone, priced wherever it seems appropriate but imo should slot under their flagship open pricing wise.

May 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 126
  I nearly shed a few tears when I got the email... Then I shed tears of joy and pain as I clicked the buy button for the Alpha Dog Prime... =)  Now I await with anticipation.

you will shed eve more tears when you receive em & start listenin :wink: get your box of kleenx ready

May 18, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 126
No, because the costs were close to the same, but since the T50s were gone we bought the last of them...

Does this mean ya'll won't have anymore mod base products?

May 19, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #25 of 126
Dammit. You got me, finally. Just placed my order for Alpha Dogs in Claret. I couldn't bring myself to spring for the Primes... wish I could swing it financially, but it just can't work out right now. I don't want to miss out on the sale... so settling for 2nd best.

May 19, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #26 of 126
  Dammit. You got me, finally. Just placed my order for Alpha Dogs in Claret. I couldn't bring myself to spring for the Primes... wish I could swing it financially, but it just can't work out right now. I don't want to miss out on the sale... so settling for 2nd best.

Alpha Dog is amazing, dont feel bad, there is always used market on here, someone bound to sell it.

May 19, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #27 of 126

Alpha Dog is amazing, dont feel bad, there is always used market on here, someone bound to sell it.

And I would think the used market on here would have to lower their prices on these items in order to remain competitive. Could be interesting.

May 19, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 126
Yeah, I'm not exactly broken up about it. I have a pair of LCD 2 in the mail to me (used ones, non-fazors), these Alpha Dogs... then my small collection of HE-400s, AKG 553, AKG Q701 and Sony MDR7506s. Pretty sure I can stop there and be dang happy with what I have there. Eventually a better DAC/Amp setup, but I'm actually happy enough with my Schiit setup even, so I'm not eager to change that.
It will be interested to see what the used market does in the short and long term. I'd think in the short term (next couple of weeks) the prices would be depressed a little. Mid-term, probably will even back out to about where they are now... and long term, depending, they could go up or down, as the "flavor of the months" come and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back