End-game for classical music
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #61 of 74
Because the timbre is not correct. I had the cans for a long time and I played for 10+ yrs (wouldn’t call myself a pianist 🤣)
Oh really? It’s been a while since I heard the V2, so I could be remembering wrong. Timbre isn’t really correct on my 8XX’s either. The best I’ve heard classical guitar timbre (I’m a classical guitarist) was on the ZMF Atrium, so maybe piano would sound good there too. Or maybe go with a classic HD600.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #62 of 74
Because the timbre is not correct. I had the cans for a long time and I played for 10+ yrs (wouldn’t call myself a pianist 🤣)
hah!:dt880smile: I call myself an amateur pianist, sure you are one too. just because I practice every day and have an acoustic piano. But not a pianist in the sense I have a degree and charge people to listen to me haha
Hmm ok well polarizing opinions to be expected...
I will keep researching. Thanks for your input guys

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #63 of 74
Oh really? It’s been a while since I heard the V2, so I could be remembering wrong. Timbre isn’t really correct on my 8XX’s either. The best I’ve heard classical guitar timbre (I’m a classical guitarist) was on the ZMF Atrium, so maybe piano would sound good there too. Or maybe go with a classic HD600.
Piano is tricky to record and tricky to play back, every brand and model sounds different and different pianists playing on the same piano can generate different sounds/tones. My picks are the cans that help approximate what I think (in my head) the piano would have actually sounded like if I were playing or standing right behind the pianist.

800S needs some TP love to bring down the upper mid/lower treble and a powerful/synergetic amp to bring up the lower mid and mid bass.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #64 of 74
I was just listening to the 2023 Berlin Philharmonic recording of Rach 2 with Kirill Gerstein on my HD600's, and man they nail it. No need to even try switching to my ZMF's or HD8XX. What a phenomenal performance/recording, and a great example of when Dolby Atmos actually works.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #65 of 74
Man... it's amazing... Berlin Philarmonic obviously did a great job at this. I feel like recording quality specially ones from DG really stepped their game in the recent years. Things sound clearer and deeper than ever

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #66 of 74
Speaking of one of DG's better recordings, do check out Gershwin's "An American in Paris" perf. James Levine, CSO. The perfect demo for testing sound stage, imaging, instrument separation, the whole 9 yards. Brilliant listen on my HD800S, and a reminder why they'll belong to me for life.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #68 of 74
Dear God, what nonsense.
And this is your view based on experience? Tell us a sub $1,900 system that you believe is “end game” for classical.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #70 of 74
Lots of spicy takes here.

First off please don’t listen to someone who claims $1900 isn’t enough and you need to spend $19,000 for “true” end game. That’s a preposterous statement and completely ridiculous. Especially coming from someone who doesn’t own a headphone even close to that amount.

The usual suspects are all good options.

HD800S is lovely for classical but it needs a warmer tube source and its timbre can be tricky to nail down.

Grado GS3000x on tubes sounds amazing with cello and violin heavy classical but even on tubes they’re a bit bass light. With a touch of EQ they’re awesome though.

HE1000V2 or SE are both phenomenal for classical but also source picky and in my opinion both need a warmer tube source as well.

Obviously a properly powered Susvara can’t be beat and wins hands down in virtually all categories especially for Piano heavy classical.

Warwick Bravura is incredible for classical and can be had for relatively cheap when you factor in the secondary market and the fact that it’s an all in one.

Bottom line there’s a ton of great options at all price ranges. It’s just a matter of choosing what your definition of end game budget is and where you’d like to stop.

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #72 of 74
"End Game" in headphone / personal audio ....
IMG_7597.jpeg
😯 🙂 😯 🙃 😯

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #73 of 74
Lots of spicy takes here.

First off please don’t listen to someone who claims $1900 isn’t enough and you need to spend $19,000 for “true” end game. That’s a preposterous statement and completely ridiculous. Especially coming from someone who doesn’t own a headphone even close to that amount.
Yes
HD800S is lovely for classical but it needs a warmer tube source and its timbre can be tricky to nail down.
Yes
HE1000V2 or SE are both phenomenal for classical but also source picky and in my opinion both need a warmer tube source as well.
Or a R2R DAC with a Class A (sliding bias or full tilt)
Obviously a properly powered Susvara can’t be beat and wins hands down in virtually all categories especially for Piano heavy classical.

Bottom line there’s a ton of great options at all price ranges. It’s just a matter of choosing what your definition of end game budget is and where you’d like to stop.
Some rapturous reviews on the DCA Either 3, but I haven't heard it. ZMF Aueter good for a warmer take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back