Encoders, Format etc.
Oct 12, 2001 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
Well I was thinking of putting all my cd's on pc
and I need some advice on which encoders to use.

Well to start off I want to try mp3 encoding obviously from CD's to mp3 so anyone know of any way I can get the best possible rips?

Are there any other ways of ripping tracks that sound better than mp3 and dont take up much space?
Also I'll need to know where I can find the encoders
smily_headphones1.gif

I would rather prefer to use soming other than mpe for a change but the thing is I use my PC to record onto MD and I always use programs that put a cue of 3 seconds to make trackmarks automatically and loads of plugins in winamp for that.

Some advice/Instructions/Info. would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 20
best ripper out there as far as ripping quality is EAC,exact audio copy-FREE

Best MP# encoder is debatable,I use Lame encoder.For playback I use WinAmp with the MAD decoder

Other possible encoders
Windows media encoder for WMA files
AAC encoder

Try them out,all are free and then decide what you like best.Gotta please yourself first

Rick

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
best ripper out there as far as ripping quality is EAC,exact audio copy-FREE

Best MP# encoder is debatable,I use Lame encoder.For playback I use WinAmp with the MAD decoder

Other possible encoders
Windows media encoder for WMA files
AAC encoder

Try them out,all are free and then decide what you like best.Gotta please yourself first

Rick

What I ment was that I find mp3 to be to lossy for my tastes
I wanted to try some other encoding format which doesnt take much space but sounds nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 20
The AAC format sounds quite good to me but you are limited inusing the encoded files later on in a portable player.WMA on the other hand is wifely supported,sounds smoother is some ways compared to MP# and is a smaller file size.

http://dailymp3.org/vqf.html

should be enough to keep you busy,AAC,VQF,WMA

Oct 12, 2001 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 20
Disturbed - are you SURE it is MP3 that is causing a lack of quality? If you encode it right yourself I don't believe you will notice a difference - certainly there is a lot of 128k garbage on the net. How have you encoded in the past? Are you comparing PC soundcard output to your CD player's output?

Oct 12, 2001 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Try MPC. It's quality is a bit better than Mp3 with smaller files to boot. Use the Frontend which has the presets. It's faster too.

http://www.mpegplus.de/eng/index.html

Also, try Win32LAME for encoding Mp3, after ripping with EAC. Again, the presets are hard to beat. You may see the improvement you are looking for.

Oct 12, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Disturbed - are you SURE it is MP3 that is causing a lack of quality? If you encode it right yourself I don't believe you will notice a difference - certainly there is a lot of 128k garbage on the net. How have you encoded in the past? Are you comparing PC soundcard output to your CD player's output?

Well I got a lot of 128 mp3s:
It all began like this
I borrowed 300 cds from a friend and I asked my sister to encode them to mp3's.....well she did and guess what they were all @ 256kbps and they didnt sound great.

Well I got worried and posted here on what encoders I can try including some lossless format.

Well I tried lame @ 320 VBR and using EAC to rip CD's to wavs and I must say they sound rather good. Thanks fo the advice everyone.
I also found this good tutorial for EAC and the website has many others so give it a shot.
http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm

I also decided on the Shorten loss less compressor which I will use to archive all my cd's one day as soon as I get a huge hardrive and a buttload of cds
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahh....the joys of being part of this community
icon14.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 20
Mac & rick - you guys crack me up.....laughin pretty hard out here.....lol!

Oct 15, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 20
For a loseless compresser, use flac. Halves the size of a full wav file.

http://flac.sourceforge.net

It's not proprietary, comes with source code, and is portable. That means, in 10 or more years, you can still decompress your old flac files on whatever platform you will be running then (which is unlikely for your monkey's audio files).

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 20
"That means, in 10 or more years, you can still decompress your old flac files on whatever platform you will be running then"

Provided of course that someone else is still maintaining and porting the source and distributing biinaries. Or, you do it yourself. Unless you're a programmer the fact that you can get the source for something means very little.

Oct 15, 2001 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
"That means, in 10 or more years, you can still decompress your old flac files on whatever platform you will be running then"

Provided of course that someone else is still maintaining and porting the source and distributing biinaries. Or, you do it yourself. Unless you're a programmer the fact that you can get the source for something means very little.

You really don't need to be a programmer for this, at least not for the basic uncompressor in form of a command line program. All you need is a C compiler and the ability to unpack your source files, then simple type 'make' and enjoy the result a minute later. A real porting would only be required to incorporate it into a new GUI or something like that.

Proprietary file formats are just plain evil. Anybody storing important data in a proprietary file format acts extremely careless and almost certainly will face data loss in due course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back