Enclosure end suggestions
Apr 11, 2010 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Anthony1

Member of Trade: room40audio
Have taken the advice of a fellow head-fier and have bought a Mini3 kit as my first DIY amp.

Are there any sites where you can get custom front and back panels for enclosures like the hammond or do you have to use the panels that come with the basic enclosure.

I do realise it would cost a bit but aesthetically it has to look good as well as sound great.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 8
If you bought a kit from Jeff then for memory he also stocks a small quantity of AMB's custom front panels done in sexy thick black anodized Al.

Otherwise check out AMB's personal shop: amb.org/shop

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 8
AMB got them from frontpanelepress.com. You can get them from his site, or order them from fpe yourself, if you download the fpe software and build the panels based on the measurements from the AMB site. Going off of my experiences with FPE on another project, getting them from AMB is probably less expensive due to volume discounting. If you search, you'll find a few people on headfi who had good luck measuring carefully and drilling the stock hammond plates themselves. Personally, I'm a better woodworker than solderer, so I'm making custom laminated cocobolo endplates w/ copper shielding for my mini3, I just need some free time. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 8
The dimensions are provided in the "Board & panels" section of the Mini3 page

The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier

It onlly takes about 10 minutes to drill the holes in the end panels that come with the enclosure.
wink.gif

Here is an example:

IMG_1723.jpg

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaclebeau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMB got them from frontpanelepress.com. You can get them from his site, or order them from fpe yourself, if you download the fpe software and build the panels based on the measurements from the AMB site. Going off of my experiences with FPE on another project, getting them from AMB is probably less expensive due to volume discounting. If you search, you'll find a few people on headfi who had good luck measuring carefully and drilling the stock hammond plates themselves. Personally, I'm a better woodworker than solderer, so I'm making custom laminated cocobolo endplates w/ copper shielding for my mini3, I just need some free time. Good luck.

Thanks for that..

PS Would love to see some pics of your custom endplates.. please post
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 8
It will be cheaper to get AMB's ones instead of getting one offs made...

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Room40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have taken the advice of a fellow head-fier and have bought a Mini3 kit as my first DIY amp.

Are there any sites where you can get custom front and back panels for enclosures like the hammond or do you have to use the panels that come with the basic enclosure.

I do realise it would cost a bit but aesthetically it has to look good as well as sound great.

Good first steps!
tongue.gif

Be careful with the SMD parts, also before you start do a quick check and see to if the battery assembly clears the top of the case, if not file the battery contacts down so as there’s clearance before soldering
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 8
I bought the Hammond case with plastic end caps. Cutting the holes was not difficult and really mainly require attention to detail. It looks real good to me. I marked the "in" and "out" with a china marking pen on the bottom of the case.

AMB's end plates are real pretty.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back