Enclosing the Pass ACP+
Feb 13, 2024 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

HeyWaj10

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so this took waaaaay longer than I expected it to - turns out holidays, 2 very young kids, work, and other life things can really slow a project down! But I have finally finished the transfer of the naked ACP+ to an aluminum chassis. I learned a ton, got plenty frustrated at times, made some dumb-*** mistakes, but ultimately ended up with a finished product that I'm truly happy with.

Special shoutout to @adydula who so graciously sold me his assembled ACP+...this thing singlehandedly put my headphone amp search and trials on ice!

I'd be happy to share a full BOM list if anyone is interested, but the bulk of this enclosure consists of a Modushop Galaxy 2U black anodized aluminum chassis (supplied by DIYAudioStore), internal wiring, switches and connectors from Digi-Key or Mouser, and a knurled aluminum volume knob from China. Brass 1" standoffs were used to raise the PCB to the height to center up the PCB-mounted components up front (input selector, volume pot, and HP jack). Items removed from the PCB and fly-wired were the LED, power switch, power connector, SMPS filter, and RCAs. All component holes were drilled by hand with a basic cordless hand drill.

I thought it would be pretty straight forward and easy, but boy did I underestimate the time and attention to detail it would take. The biggest time killer was painstakingly measuring, sizing, and planning the front faceplate holes for the PCB-mounted components. I ended up buying several purpose-specific tools/materials (like the drill bits) to precisely get things fitting correctly. I was fortunate to find a CAD template buried in the ACP+ thread on DIYAudio, but even that did not align perfectly and I had to improvise.

All in all, this was a great experience and I'm truly glad I did it. I love the look and feel of this thing (adding some Dynamat Xtreme I had on hand helped add some heft and dampened the top and bottom covers). Now I have that little sense of pride looking at it each time I listen, and this thing is as legit of a final product all-in around $350 as many production-grade solid state amps out there. I'm smitten with this thing!

FYI - this replaced my seriously loved Schiit Lyr3, which in all honesty just could not compete with the ACP+.

Attachments

• IMG_4889web.jpg
    IMG_4889web.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4890web.jpg
    IMG_4890web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4891web.jpg
    IMG_4891web.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4892web.jpg
    IMG_4892web.jpg
  • IMG_4893web.jpg
    IMG_4893web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4894web.jpg
    IMG_4894web.jpg
Feb 13, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Wow!!

Outstanding Job!!

I am so proud of you and the transfer into the case!!

The kits just came available again at the diy store!

Enjoy listening now, it really doesnt get much better that what you have!
Seriously.

:>)
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back