eMusic going down the drain (for the little guys)
Jun 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Squirsier

500+ Head-Fier
Great.

"We are excited to announce that in early July eMusic will begin rolling out a major addition to our music catalog. The change will add nearly 200,000 tracks to the catalog, including many of the most loved names in music."

They changed all their plans and boosted their prices too.

So eMusic used to be GREAT to find indie bands, especially in the Electronic section. But because they want to have Celine Dion onboard, I have to pay more even tho I will probably never download any of their "most loved names in music".

Probably will end up cancelling both my accounts (mine and my gf's). While it is still less expensive than iTunes and Amazon, I really think this is a bad move from them.

A slight increase in prices because you're following inflation, fine. A good increase in prices (40% in some cases) because you want big names on your website... no thanks.

Bah. Maybe I'll calm down, but it looks like the end of my 4 years association with eMusic.

More info there from the CEO : More of the good stuff at 17 dots . Funny he says "In the US" yet my Canadian account's price is also raised
angry_face.gif

/rant

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Used to love eMusic, couldn't wait until it was the next cycle so I could download my quota again... Then I let two months go by and low and behold when I went to download, thinking I had 120 songs, I only had 40. I found the fine print that told me they reset to zero every month. I quit that minute, what a ripoff.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 6
May they have a slow death!

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great.

"We are excited to announce that in early July eMusic will begin rolling out a major addition to our music catalog. The change will add nearly 200,000 tracks to the catalog, including many of the most loved names in music."

They changed all their plans and boosted their prices too.

So eMusic used to be GREAT to find indie bands, especially in the Electronic section. But because they want to have Celine Dion onboard, I have to pay more even tho I will probably never download any of their "most loved names in music".

Probably will end up cancelling both my accounts (mine and my gf's). While it is still less expensive than iTunes and Amazon, I really think this is a bad move from them.

A slight increase in prices because you're following inflation, fine. A good increase in prices (40% in some cases) because you want big names on your website... no thanks.

Bah. Maybe I'll calm down, but it looks like the end of my 4 years association with eMusic.

More info there from the CEO : More of the good stuff at 17 dots . Funny he says "In the US" yet my Canadian account's price is also raised
angry_face.gif

/rant

Yeah...this totally sucks. For the same price, I get 13 less downloads per month. I think I will probably close my account also. What a bummer! I have been a big fan of Emusic for their extensive Metal selection.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah...this totally sucks. For the same price, I get 13 less downloads per month. I think I will probably close my account also. What a bummer! I have been a big fan of Emusic for their extensive Metal selection.

I think I'm gonna use the money I was spending for those accounts to buy 2-3 CDs per month and rip to ALAC. That or hunt the local used CD store (tho around here, not uncommon to see them around $10 each!).

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I've only been a member since January, but I found so much wonderful new music there. Now this. I'm looking for alternatives.

amiestreet.com seems interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back