EMU1212M's sound breaking up
Jul 27, 2006 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tachikoma

Headphoneus Supremus
As noted on the title, the sound coming from the emu1212m's analog output noticeably breaks up and distorts; however the card's digital output sounds perfectly fine. I only discovered this problem recently as I had been using it only for the digital output for over a month (but I'm pretty sure the analog output was alright a month ago). I have already done the following:
1. Resample the signal to 88.2khz and 96khz
2. Reinstalled the drivers
3. Transplanted the card to another PC (admittedly, with an equally poor PSU)
4. Reduce the output by -10 db
5. Experiment with different headphones and sources - the emu1212m is definitely the problem here.

I hope someone could give me clues as to what could be wrong with my card.

Thanks

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Try another PCI slot and update to the latest bios.

Switching the card to another PC didn't work - at any rate I'm out of PCI slots on my main rig
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Switching the card to another PC didn't work - at any rate I'm out of PCI slots on my main rig
biggrin.gif

That might be the problem. Remove any other pci device and try that slot with the 1212m. At least to test that nothing is wrong with the analog circuit.

Also, play with the PCI latency values, inside your bios.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 14
This may sound nuts (it probably is at 8:22 in the morning), but if you're careful, you can pull it off. Put the 1212 on the slot farthest away from the CPU, and then find a way to get some aluminum foil to stick between the 1212/daughter card and the card to the right of that. You'll want to wrap the foil in something non-conductive before doing this, like saran wrap or electrical tape or both. But bottom line, it's going to stop any EMI interference bombarding the cards from nearby components.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 14
I believe is a system resource problem. The PCI bus trying to keep up in sync with other components and the PCI bus controller. If would be something wrong with the analog circuit, there were no sound at all.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
I believe is a system resource problem. The PCI bus trying to keep up in sync with other components and the PCI bus controller. If would be something wrong with the analog circuit, there were no sound at all.

I have no idea how you came up with this conclusion. It sounds sort of interesting and novel.

Quote:

As noted on the title, the sound coming from the emu1212m's analog output noticeably breaks up and distorts; however the card's digital output sounds perfectly fine.

If the digital output is ok and it was having the same problem on another computer (assuming its a different mobo), I doubt the PCI bus is having problems because data is getting through. From what Tachikoma has said, it sounds like an issue with the analog part of the soundcard. Intermittent problems might be caused by something as simple as a bad solder or a slightly damaged/burned component. However, we have not ruled out other problems such as bad driver configuration or poor PSU. For ruling those issues out, you might have to swap PSUs and try a different Emu1212m. My gut feeling is telling me that the soundcard is broken.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing

If the digital output is ok and it was having the same problem on another computer (assuming its a different mobo), I doubt the PCI bus is having problems because data is getting through. From what Tachikoma has said, it sounds like an issue with the analog part of the soundcard. Intermittent problems might be caused by something as simple as a bad solder or a slightly damaged/burned component. However, we have not ruled out other problems such as bad driver configuration or poor PSU. For ruling those issues out, you might have to swap PSUs and try a different Emu1212m. My gut feeling is telling me that the soundcard is broken.

If any opening of the circuit, sound card stops working and OS give an error code. This check up routine is embedded in the sound card firmware. Firmware monitors at start up and then OS. Learn!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 14
I had the same problem, twice. I also tried everything possible contacted EMU support etc... to no avail. The only thing you can do is get a replacement daughter card from EMU, they re pretty lenient if you only return a daughter card.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
This may sound nuts (it probably is at 8:22 in the morning), but if you're careful, you can pull it off. Put the 1212 on the slot farthest away from the CPU, and then find a way to get some aluminum foil to stick between the 1212/daughter card and the card to the right of that. You'll want to wrap the foil in something non-conductive before doing this, like saran wrap or electrical tape or both. But bottom line, it's going to stop any EMI interference bombarding the cards from nearby components.

hmm, I did try leaving the digital section inside the casing while putting the analog section as far away from the mobo as possible (half the card was sticking out of the casing's side panel)
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
I had the same problem, twice. I also tried everything possible contacted EMU support etc... to no avail. The only thing you can do is get a replacement daughter card from EMU, they re pretty lenient if you only return a daughter card.

yikes. The card doesn't even belong to me by the way >.>

Quote:

If any opening of the circuit, sound card stops working and OS give an error code. This check up routine is embedded in the sound card firmware. Firmware monitors at start up and then OS. Learn!

You're sure about that? The digital section works even when the analog section isn't connected.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

You're sure about that? The digital section works even when the analog section isn't connected.

That's why, I think is not a hardware problem. Just communication or system resource.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back