Emu1212m------>Original Master Amp---->Headphone (Cables??)
Dec 4, 2006 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still confused about which cables/adapter would go where.

The emu1212m (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tem?sku=242512) only has balanced analog (the best output among all the outputs in this card, I heard) output, but does it come with the cable to connect it to the Original Master Amp(http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ginal+master)?

If not, which adapter should I get? I'd appreciate it if you could give a picture (I'm really noob, I didn't have it yet so I couldn't see the input/output), moreover, it'd best if someone knows where's the best place to get it.

Lastly, if I'm not using an amp, how would I connect my headphone to these balanced output? Which adapter should I use?

I don't know why there're so many different cables/ inputs/ outputs. Why not make a single universal cables/inputs/outputs? To make people's lifes easier. :wink:

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 23
No it doesn't. You have to get the 1/4" to RCA adapters. Theyre fairly cheap from musiciansfriend (less than 2 dollars). You will need two of them.

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it doesn't. You have to get the 1/4" to RCA adapters. Theyre fairly cheap from musiciansfriend (less than 2 dollars). You will need two of them.

Thanks for the input.

Which part of the questions are you directing the "No it doesn't," to?

Which 1/4" to RCA adapter that I need to buy? I mean, which one is supposed to be female/male? There's 1/4" female to RCA male, then there's 1/4" male to RCA female, then there's 1/4" female to 2 RCA male, etc.. I'm confused
mad.gif

And how do you connect the emu1212m to a headphone without an amp? The emu only has 2 balanced output while a headphone jack is a single male. How do you connect a single male jack to a 2 balanced output?

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 23
Dec 5, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input.

And how do you connect the emu1212m to a headphone without an amp? The emu only has 2 balanced output while a headphone jack is a single male. How do you connect a single male jack to a 2 balanced output?

The E-MU 1212m is NOT designed for headphones to be directly hooked to it. It is an I/O card designed to be an interface for recording audio and all that entails. The head-fiers realized that this card has good DACs so they started connecting their amps to the 1212m via the 1/4" mono - RCA adapter mentioned above.

If you don't have an amp you might as well skip this card.

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E-MU 1212m is NOT designed for headphones to be directly hooked to it. It is an I/O card designed to be an interface for recording audio and all that entails. The head-fiers realized that this card has good DACs so they started connecting their amps to the 1212m via the 1/4" mono - RCA adapter mentioned above.

If you don't have an amp you might as well skip this card.

Could you please elaborate more on why I should just skip this card if I don't have an amp? I'm really curious. I was thinking that even a crappy soundcard from a motherboard can produce a decent sound, so a professional card should be able to produce more than decent sound. Is this emu1212m have weaker built-in amp than a crappy motherboard soundcard?

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For attaching to the analog outs off the 1212m. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=339508

Attach this to that adapter and you have direct headphone output. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ble?sku=333091

This is generally better than having a straight dual 1/4 male to 1/4 female adapter, because this allows more flexibility so when you get an amp for it, you won't have to buy even more adapters.

I was a bit turn-off by the word "Mono" on that 1/4" female to 2 RCA male adapter. Would this adapter (or any cheap adapters) give worst sound than if using the original (no adapters in between)? In other words, is it best to not using any adapters (cheap ones) for the best quality of sound?

Thanks, those definitely clear it up for me.

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None.

Do you know which cable that I should get to connect the emu1212m to an amp, like original master that's using rca? Where's a good place to buy?

Dec 5, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Could you please elaborate more on why I should just skip this card if I don't have an amp? I'm really curious. I was thinking that even a crappy soundcard from a motherboard can produce a decent sound, so a professional card should be able to produce more than decent sound. Is this emu1212m have weaker built-in amp than a crappy motherboard soundcard?

Because this card doesn't have a headphone amp. There isn't a good way to plug in headphones. It isn't impossible, but headphones are NOT going to sound good hooked directly to a line-level output (which is what the 1/4" balanced mono ouputs will produce).

Dec 5, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 23
The OP started this thread because he wants to find cables to connect the 1212 to his headamp so it shouldn't be an issue for him. But that is correct, the 1212 cannot drive headphones without an amp.

One upon a time I connected the 1212 to a PA2V2 and Grado SR225's, it sounded nice. Later the 1212 to a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD/SR225's, that was very nice.

Dec 5, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP started this thread because he wants to find cables to connect the 1212 to his headamp so it shouldn't be an issue for him. But that is correct, the 1212 cannot drive headphones without an amp.

One upon a time I connected the 1212 to a PA2V2 and Grado SR225's, it sounded nice. Later the 1212 to a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD/SR225's, that was very nice.

Quote:

Read the post I quoted carefully. He was asking why he couldn't connect his headphones directly to the soundcard.

Dec 5, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the post I quoted carefully. He was asking why he couldn't connect his headphones directly to the soundcard.

I know, I acknowledged that in my post, where I said "But that is correct, the 1212 cannot drive headphones without an amp"
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back