EMU0404 vs. Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 initial impressions
Mar 27, 2008 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

frankR

Head-Fier
I didn't intend to purchase both of these. Both were back ordered and shipped about the same time. The plan being to cancel the order for the one that would ship second. Alas, both are here and working. Might as well provide a review?

The signal path is as follows:

FLAC PCM Tracks --> WinAmp --> Secret Rabbit Code 192khz Upsampling direct ASIO --> EMU0404 / AtPHD2 --> Headphone out --> Sennheiser HD650

note: unfortunately no dedicated headphone amp is being used. I plan to add that to my repertoire very soon. Thus consider this review relevant to those who would run without a dedicated head-amp. If break-in is a factor, the AtPHD2 has been running for a few weeks, while the EMU0404 is literally brand-new-out-of-the-box. The HD650s are only a few months old, but should be well broke-in.

If you'd like a thorough professional review of these devices, please follow the links below to reviews by digital-life.com

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Purchase price: $75

E-MU 0404 USB Purchase price: $150 + free MXL V63M Condensor Microphone

Unfortunately, the "initial impression" isn't very good for the EMU0404. It probably comes down to the head-amps, because both use the same DAC. The test track being from the new The Mars Volta's album, The Bedlam in Goliath, track 8 Agadez. This song is good choice because:

a) I've listened to this song quite frequently lately on the AtPHD2, so differences should be immediately forth-coming
b) It's actually a decent recording, at least much better then previous recordings from TMV
c) It's a quite difficult song to reproduce signal-wise. The song is very dense rhythmically and sonically, the frequency spectrum is quite covered.
d) The bass track is well recorded, instruments drums and bass
c) There are some high pitched chime effects that accent the song which reveal the sound stage

The song intro has a distinct snare-tom fill from Thomas Pridgen. What’s striking is the bass from the EMU0404 doesn't have the transient "punch" that the AtPHD2 has, it must be down to the head-amp. Infact, it's obvious the amp isn't as powerful when you turn the volume knob on the plastic EMU0404 control panel to max. The audio begins to distort past what I consider my normal comfortable "rockin’ out" volume level. While on the AtPHD2, there is plenty of overhead above that comfort volume level, I'd say at least 12dB before I hear distortion, where my ear drums begin bleeding. The fact there isn’t much volume overhead should tip you off the normal volume level is probably distorted, especially on transients, i.e. drums.

The high-frequencies don’t quite jump out at you either on the EMU0404. A particularly busy section with a plenty of cymbal crashes near the end of the song tends to “break-up” on unworthy playback systems. The EMU0404 is not far ahead of my old soundcard, the Soundblaster Live! 24-bit in this regard. I’ll continue to monitor the evolution of the EMU0404 as it’s broken in. But one is clear. The built-in head-amp just doesn’t come close to matching the intrinsic sonics of the AKM4396 digital to analog convertor. While the AtPHD2 does get closer. Therefore, if your intention is to run without a dedicated head-amp, I’d definitely swing for the much less expensive Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Something seems to be very wrong with that 0404 USB if you say the audio begins to distort into HD650's below max output. On properly mastered and well-recorded acoustic/orchestral material (but with peaks that are still just under 0 dBFS), I can run it flat out into my HD600's with no blatant distortion.

As far as I know, you're the first user to post such experience on the forum since the 0404 USB came out.

Another piece of advice.....while DAC's have 192 kHz capability, it's like digital zoom on a camcorder. Yeah, it there, but it's like an effect; it doesn't add real detail.

Have you compared the units with no upsampling?

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something seems to be very wrong with that 0404 USB if you say the audio begins to distort into HD650's below max output. On properly mastered and well-recorded acoustic/orchestral material (but with peaks that are still just under 0 dBFS), I can run it flat out into my HD600's with no blatant distortion.

As far as I know, you're the first user to post such experience on the forum since the 0404 USB came out.

sejarzo,

Thanks for your input. I believe you misunderstood me regarding distortion. I didn't say the entire signal was blatantly distorted at normal levels, but on transients. Those are two very different points. It’s possible the signal is clipped, and the EMU electronics are handling that signal differently, but I doubt it because I hear the same thing in well regarded recordings. However, distortion is blatantly obvious with the volume knob past about 2/3s, this is very near where my comfort volume level is. I went back and checked this, and I can tell you don't need an oscilloscope to tell it's distorted. I would be surprised if others haven’t noticed distortion from the head-out on the EMU0404 at high volume levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another piece of advice.....while DAC's have 192 kHz capability, it's like digital zoom on a camcorder. Yeah, it there, but it's like an effect; it doesn't add real detail.

Have you compared the units with no upsampling?

I understand this. To my ear 96khz upsampling is an improvement over native sampling. However, at 192khz, a point of diminishing returns is met, because if there is a difference, it’s slight. I choose 192khz because I viewed that as the highest quality signal I could deliver.

You mention “digital zoom”. Imaging processing is actually my field. The point of diminishing return I describe with digital audio upsampling is quite analogous to imaging or video, 2x upsampling being a good rule of thumb limit for acuity benefit, depending on viewer distance of course. I’m not sure what the viewing distance analogy for audio is? Audio is rather one dimensional there.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 10
I certainly don't doubt what you hear at all--it's just not been commented on, and it's not been my experience. On the other hand, I have used a Millett, a maxed PIMETA, or a CK²III for the overwhelming majority of time when using the 0404 USB rather than the internal headamp. It's handy for listening to web audio, but when I want to listen critically, I always have an external headamp sitting right there, so I use it!

I can't run the 0404 USB flat out on most modern pop/rock material--just like you, somewhere around 2 o'clock is my limit for hot mastered tracks. I've not analyzed them in detail, but when I rip and FLAC symphonic tracks that have quiet sections plus big bass drum/tymp hits, they often show peaks of 98% but never 100%--so I presume that anything I hear wouldn't be due to digital clipping, as I don't apply any processing in Foobar and run the 0404 USB via ASIO.

My analogy re digital zoom was obviously a loose one. My apologies for that...

The fact that current DAC's don't perform optimally at 192 kHz sample rates has been a topic of discussion on various audio forums. There's been discussion on head-fi about this vis-a-vis the DAC1 and the decision by Benchmark to use 110 kHz ASRC.

Have you tried 88.2 or 176.4k upsampling? Upsampling by 2x or 4x rather than a non-integer value is more easily accomplished.....at least that would be more directly analogous to image processing, wouldn't it?
confused.gif

I've always wondered about the voltage at which the supply rails run in the 0404 USB headamp. It swings more voltage than the line out, and the line out swings more 2.0 Vrms, more than is possible for a split 5VDC supply.....the unit certainly uses a step-up circuit (no question about that, if it can supply 48 VDC phantom power!) but I don't know if anyone has measured actual voltages in the 0404 USB. That could be the limiting factor on transients for hi-Z cans!

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be surprised if others haven’t noticed distortion from the head-out on the EMU0404 at high volume levels.

Color yourself surprised. No distortion, even at stupid volume levels with the HD650 or K701.

If all your software volume sliders are maxed (and your level pot is maxed if you use toslink rather than USB) 2/3 on the volume dial is dangerously loud for most music.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 10

frankR,
Your observations are very similar to mine. The headphone AMP of the EMU 0404 USB is not what I would consider remotely close to that of a dedicated AMP. This is obviously blatant when comparing the Emu's AMP to the Heed Canamp.

Here's a quick synopsis:
The Canamp clears up the muddiness, bass starts to sound like actual bass (punchy, tight, and deep not like a fart), clarity in vocals as well as instruments separation is evidently increase exponentially. I'll go out on a limb and state that it's a day and night difference. However, I must say that the DAC of the EMU 0404 is its strong point and should be use accordingly.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Just to settle the debate:

EMU0404 Headphone Output:
"The built-in headphones pre-amplifier has output impedance of 22 Ohm and max. output power of 20 milliwatt."
E-MU 0404 USB - A Top-Class External Audio Interface

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Headphone Output:
"Headphones-out is based on two JRC4580 chips that provide the output power of 120 mW."
Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Gold Sound Card

The Prodigy HD2 has a much more powerful headphone output then the EMU0404.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EMU0404 is not far ahead of my old soundcard, the Soundblaster Live! 24-bit in this regard. ...But one is clear. The built-in head-amp just doesn’t come close to matching the intrinsic sonics of the AKM4396 digital to analog convertor. While the AtPHD2 does get closer. Therefore, if your intention is to run without a dedicated head-amp, I’d definitely swing for the much less expensive Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

Is emu0404 really that bad? is it because the USB version never ready match the pci version?

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is emu0404 really that bad? is it because the USB version never ready match the pci version?

I don't think so. I'm sure it's reputation is justified. However, the head phone amp is severely lacking compared to the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2.

Had I received the EMU0404 before the AtPHD2 I would have been very disappointed.

Another unflattering comparison to the EMU0404: The headphone output on my 10 year old Samsung CD player is very close to the EMU0404.

It really needs a headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back