emu0404 mod: couple questions
Mar 5, 2006 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i've modded them before, but i'm curious about a few things:

1. for those who have changed caps, did you notice a difference, and what caps did you use? at first i'm only doing the bridge-output-caps, remove output buffers, replace opamp mods, but i'm curious about cap replacement.

2. opamp: i've found the following spare opamps around, and i'm curious what y'all would suggest:

i have:
-2 lt1364
-2 opa637
-2 8066
-2 8065

i'm afraid i'm not really sure what are stereo, and which are mono; it would be nice to use a stereo opamp at first since the soic-browndog i have is busted (lifted traces from a previous issue)

-my emu is the newer 8852 board, though that will only affect things if i decide to change caps

any help is appreciated. any of the opamps i have would be ideal? low offset would be nice as i would like to bridge/remove the output caps if possible (made a significant difference on previous mods). i have a multimeter and will test all dc-offset. i also have my own breakout cable (silver plated copper teflon).

i'll now go and search answers to these questions, but i'd appreciate any specific advice or reccomendations y'all would have; thanks.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 2
i assume the opa637 is right-out? even if i had opa627, i believe i've heard negative things about burrbrown opamps in the emu

edit: i'm leaning heavily toward 8066; i see now that the 8065 is mono, and the 8066 stereo/dual. it seems iron dreamer and misterx are both preferencial to this chip in the 0404; and those guys are never (
rolleyes.gif
) wrong

main questions left:

1. those who have replaced capacitors, did you notice a significant difference? what caps did you use?
2. any objections to using ad8066?

just to be sure:: on my breakout cable, i have two rca outputs; for left and right of course. now, i assume i can test for offset by playing music through the emu and measuring from signal (center prong), to ground (outer casing) on each channel, yes?

last question
smily_headphones1.gif
: are there any "better" drivers for the 0404 as there are for the av710? or should i just download from their site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back