EMU vs Julia
Aug 8, 2007 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

babypsycho

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Which would be the right choice?
EMU 0404 pci or ESI Julia?
Do they both do the same? AC-3 etc etc?

I was thinking bout A192 before but upon reading most threads, found that Julia is better than A192 therefore, the question is now 0404 vs julia before I can finally decide.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 12
The 0404 PCI doesn't pass-through AC3 encoded signals. Doesn't have Vista drivers yet. 0404 and 0202 USB were supposed to have beta Vista drivers available in the 2nd quarter of 2007, we're now two months into the 3rd quarter, and have seen nothing.

I'm dumping my 0404 as soon as I build a new computer in a month's time. I've been waiting since Vista was released for driver support, and with nothing to show they've lost me as a customer. Might as well wait a month now to ensure I get a good processor stepping.

Get the Juli@, it hasn't been tainted by Creative Labs.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Juli@, a great sound card! and this is from a previous owner of the 1212M, who also had the 0404 and Juli@.

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by babypsycho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Which would be the right choice?
EMU 0404 pci or ESI Julia?
Do they both do the same? AC-3 etc etc?

I was thinking bout A192 before but upon reading most threads, found that Julia is better than A192 therefore, the question is now 0404 vs julia before I can finally decide.

Thanks!

Buy which one you get cheaper, they are about the same quality. Never compared them but I have read that the emu is a bit better.

Both pass through ac3 signal if you use digital output. They are both bit-perfect.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 12
If you have a dedicated head amp get the Juli@, elsewise the 0404 usb.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 12
What do you mean by dedicated head amp ?
I'm currently running Audigy2 NX -> harman kardon stereo amp.
So I'm thinking to replace the sound card since the sound produced from the NX is not as good.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

What do you mean by dedicated head amp ?

He's refering to a stand-alone headphone amplifier, such as you'd find from HeadRoom or Meier Audio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 0404 pci has spdif passthrough?

You are indeed correct. Only the 0404USB can passthrough an AC3 signal.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 12
So if I use stereo amp it wouldn't be good enough or it wouldn't work at all?
or would I get no difference at all in sound quality from upgrading my sound card if I am going from PC -> soundcard -> stereo amp

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Might be handy if you'd share the HK's model, so we can see its connection options.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

So if I use stereo amp it wouldn't be good enough or it wouldn't work at all?
or would I get no difference at all in sound quality from upgrading my sound card if I am going from PC -> soundcard -> stereo amp

AC3 passthrough is only applicable for digital outputs.

Since you are only using the analog outputs to a stereo amplifier, the lack of AC3 passthrough won't affect you. Should you one day decide that you want to use your computer in an HTPC fashion, the 0404PCI will be unable to send the encoded Dolby Digital or DTS signal from a DVD to a home theater receiver where it is decoded, amplified, and sent on to your speakers.

If you are sure that you won't use the soundcard in that kind of role, then either will suit your needs.

I recommended the Juli@ because you won't have to worry about passthrough or drivers interfering with your listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back