EMU / Patchmix Mic in Help
Dec 24, 2005 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cyrillic

100+ Head-Fier
I have a mic that has a 1/8" plug, so I had to build an adapter (which is tested working), and I'm putting the dual monos in the analog inputs. However, when I try and use this in games it doesn't work. I'm guessing something is wrong in patchmix, but I can't get it to work. I read the manual and it isn't helping. The EMU card is set for all voice recording in windows, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm really eager to get this to work, so any help is very much appreciated. The applications I'll be using this with are counter strike and ventrillo.

Thanks,

Kyle

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Why? I can get the microphone into the sound card no problem... I'm doing this on the cheap, so a mic amp is out of the question. I'll never use that thing for anything near its intended purpose. I'll use my onboard sound before I have to buy something, but I really do want this thing to work. It's not that this thing isn't producing enough volume... it's that there's no sound at all. I think it's just something to do with Patchmix.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
I am not on my computer w/ PatchMix so I can't provide screenies atm.

You need to create two strips, one for the left and right in channels. You probably would want to set the balance accordingly for each strips.
Have both strip send to AUX1. In Aux1, have it send to "WAV" or something along those lines (should be near the bottom of the list of choices). If you don't want to hear your own voice, set the return of Aux1 to 0.

Hope this helps :)

Dec 25, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Think about it like this (this is my understanding anyway...): The inputs on the E-MU are open and waiting to receive a signal. The mic on its own doesn't have any power so how is it going to give that signal to the soundcard. The mic preamp gives the 48v phantom power required to make the mic work. With an onboard soundcard or consumer card, the mic input jack has a preamp on it, that's why you can plug a mic straight into it. The E-MU's inputs are meant to be connected straight to an instrument that would carry a signal to it or to a mic preamp. This is common among pro and semi-pro soundcards. A really cheap mixer might also give you what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back