emu 1212m vs 1616?
Dec 8, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 9
A simple GOOGLE search took me to the E-MU site where I checked the spec's on both cards.

Here I found that the E-MU1616 uses "D/A converter: CS4398"

I also found that the E-MU1212 also uses "D/A converter: CS4398"

This took about the same amount of time and effort as posting here to ask.
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea thanks for the reply, but having the same opamps doesnt have to mean they would both sound the same does it, they can have different circuits......

Ooops, I mis-read and thought you asked if they used the same DAC, my bad.

And here I figured I was bored and you were lazy so it was a draw . . . .instead I lose.
frown.gif

LOL
tongue.gif

Sorry

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 9
The measurements of the 1616M are slightly better (stereo crosstalk on the inputs [120 dB vs. 115 dB], high-freq response on the outputs [-0.05 dB vs. -0.35 dB]), but realistically, they should both sound the same. The difference in price is not worth it unless you plan on using the 1616M's other features.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 9
i placed an order for the 1616m yesterday, but plan to use it in my HTPC for multi-channel output.

As infinitesymphony said, they should sound similar. So if you are only interested in using it in a stereo configuration then it is not worth the difference.

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 9
I've heard of some people having problems passing DTS and Dolby Digital multi-channel audio streams to external components with the 1212M and 1616M. This only applied to DirectSound programs that couldn't use ASIO or KS (ex. Windows Media Player). E-MU has probably fixed this by now, but since most people use the equipment for stereo playback, it's not discussed often.

Just curious... How are you planning to incorporate the 1616M in a multi-channel setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back