EMU 1212M, Soundstorm, Amp, and Patchmix help
Oct 22, 2004 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
My system is hosed after I tried to install my new 1212M. Even with it removed completely, my video card causes my XP to freeze right when it starts up (Windows). That aside, I was able to get it working correctly for an hour or so before the **** hit the fan. I expected to find Patchmix difficult. I was wrong. It is impossible. I think it's extremely un user friend. I know it was made to recreate a real studio mixer. Thank god I am not a producer. I'll leave that to Moby and The Neptunes. Anyway, I am looking for a solution to the follow. Could someone guide me through this. Or offer me session files?

1. I want to connect my Soundstorm to my 1212M using a digital out of the SS and digital in of the 1212M. I already have the cable hooked up. In the SS controls, I disabled all dolby encoding, disabled analog output, and enabled digital output. I put the speakertype to headphones and did the same in Windows sounds settings. Should I change this?

2. I want to connect my SS to my 1212M so that I can play games and hear system sounds without switching amps. I do NOT have speakers. I am using source > amp > headphones for 100% of everything.

3. I assume the best approach to this would be to have one session for gaming and default windows and another one specifically for Foobar right?

4. I'd like to know how to disable or mute inputs/outputs I am not using. For instance, I am never going to use the 1/4" in's no matter what. So I'd like to have those muted. Same with optical ins, ADAT, etc. For foobar session, digital in could be turned off too so that I don't get any Windows sounds.

That's basically it. Again, I only will have an amp connected to the 1212M. Nothing is connected to the SS except a digital cable going to the 1212M digital in.

Any specific instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much..

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 26
Hi there, I don't have much expereince hooking another card through the E-MU 1212m, but I can answer a few of the other questions, and give my personal suggestions.

I use my E-MU 1212m for gaming, and music, only one session is needed, at 44.1khz. Also, in windows, set it to desktop stereo speakers, NOT headphones.

To answer your questions, you can mute the other outputs/inputs in patchmixer, but there is no reason to do that, the card has no issues with 'hiss' or noise from un-muted channels, unlike for example, the audigy series of soundcards. Simply open patchmix, and click the M at the bottom of the strip, it will turn red to indicate it is muted.

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for the helpful reply. According to the extra documentation I received with the card, it says there are problems with the soundcard that can be solved by muting inputs/outputs you are not using.

I've debated between using headphone setting or desktop stereo speakers. Why do you recommend the latter?

You don't upsample your music to 96 or 192?

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 26
The headphone setting applies software based crossfeed and other effects, so it doesn't provide as clean a signal as stereo speakers does.

Oct 22, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 26
Ok, so I have this pretty much solved. Everything is kosher. I noticed that upsampling to 192 does not sound that good. And it's slow to switch songs. I am not sure if that's a result of upsampling or ASIO or what.

The only thing NOT working is it's not taking the data from my SPDIF in. Any ideas why? I see nvidia's tool saying it's sending it and I see that there is sound being produced. I am using Winamp with output to SS to test this. I want all sound coming out of SS to go directly to 1212M.

Oct 31, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 26
can you upload your session file?

Oct 31, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 26
This session in the file you attached doesn't really make sense.

For foobar all you need is 1 strip, ASIO OUT 1/2, with a SEND to I/O Card as output.

For windows sounds/games all you need is 1 strip, WAVE L/R, with a SEND to I/O Card as output.

I would've made you these but I don't have a 1212m in my computer right now since I don't have the I/O Card installed.

There is no need to mute anything. Not having the strip will have disabled it. Similarly, inserting a SEND to the I/O card as output in any strip will effectively have bypassed anything after it including the mixer. So even if your analog inputs were not muted, you wouldn't be hearing it.

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 26
oops forgot about that.

"For windows sounds/games all you need is 1 strip, WAVE L/R, with a SEND to I/O Card as output."

That was incorrect. It should be,

"For windows sounds/games all you need is 1 strip, PCI CARD SPDIF L/R, with a SEND to I/O Card as output."

And your sound control panel setting should have the SoundStorm as the default card so it sends windows sounds, games to there, out it's digital out, then into the emu's digital in, then out it's analog outputs.

You don't really need multiple sessions. If you have this strip along with the ASIO 1/2 one, all you'd do it shift the SEND back and forth between the two strips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back