EMU 1212M patchmix assistance
Jul 30, 2004 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi folks,

I've had an EMU 1212m sitting on the floor of my room for about a month now and I haven't had the impetus to install it. (I'm lazy.) I figure I may as well go ahead and do it this afternoon. I was wondering if someone could give me configurations for the patchmix software so I don't need to mess around with it myself. (see above re: lazy)

I'll be using two things only: digital optical out (primarily), 44.1KHz, to kernel streaming in foobar2000. Secondly I'd like to use analog outs (44.1KHz again) to my receiver for games, movies, what-have-you. Is there an easy, quick way to configure this with a minimum of interference?

lan, you listening?
tongue.gif

Thanks for any help,

- Chris

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Wow a person lazy to upgrade
tongue.gif
This is a first
biggrin.gif

I don't have the 1212m's 0202 card installed at this moment so I can't save a session for you. Maybe somebody else can. I could get you close but you'd have to do a little work
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Perhaps it is just my machine, but I couldn't get kernel streaming to function with my 1212M so i switched to ASIO which works just as good.

when you open patchmix, at the top (and just above the effects button) are three buttons which are new session, open session, and save session.

click the open session button which will open up into the directory containing all the session templates (there's a whole bunch of 'em). fyi: if patchmix asks you to save the current session, click on no.

for analog (games and such..) pick the one called "(1212) Product Default.session"

for digital out... pick "Digital Default.session"

mind you that patchmix normally saves your sessions to the My Documents folder so when you try to open a session it might open into that directory in which case you need to navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Creative Professional\E-MU PatchMix DSP\Session Templates
in order to find those sessions.

additionally, you might wish to save those sessions for later into the My Documents folder to make it easier since you might be tempted to make modifications to them such as deleting the extra strips.

keep in mind that all those sessions are locked to 44.1/48khz sampling rate. if you want 96khz or 192khz you'll have to open a totally different session. i stress LOCKED because patchmix will bytch if you play something at 96khz when you have a 44.1khz session open and will make you open an appropriate session.

Aug 15, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Okay... finally got my 1212M installed but I'm totally lost with PatchMix DSP. I want to do two things:

ASIO to optical digital output: so I can use ASIO Out in Foobar2k and listen to music.

Windows to optical digital output: so I can play videogames using my DAC.

How can I do these two things? Can anyone assist me? I'm clearly missing something here. Please help.

edit: If I pick the "Digital Default" template, my DAC doesn't sync.

Thanks,

- Chris

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 8
What you want is identical to what I have set up as my current session.

My session has two input strips:

- WAVE L/R (this is what Windows/games/etc uses to make sound)
- ASIO OUT 31/32 (not sure what the significance of those numbers are)

Under each strip's INSERTS I've inserted a peak meter (by right-clicking) so I can visually see when these inputs are active.

If you click on the OUTPUTS button (near upper-right of window), you can see two green boxes checked under the MON column:

- I/O Card Out 1/2 (this sends mixed output of the above two strips to the analog output on the PCI board...it's what I'm using as a source for my computer speakers)
- PCI Card S/PDIF (this sends the mixed output of the above two strips to the optical digital output, which I am sending to a Benchmark DAC1).

The SYNC source is INTERNAL and locked at 44.

In Foobar2000, in the Playback settings my Output data format is "24bit fixed-point padded to 32bit" (you have to to check the "Show all options" box to see this). In the Output settings my Output method is ASIO (dll version)...under the Settings for that my Device is E-MU ASIO, thread priority is Above Normal, Buffer Size is 16, Shift Output channels is 0, and Use Direct input monitor is NOT checked. In the DSP Manager my only Active DSP is Crossfeed (less stressful on my ears for long-term listening).

That's basically all my audio-related settings between the Patchmix program and Foobar.

Aug 15, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
What you want is identical to what I have set up as my current session.

My session has two input strips:

- WAVE L/R (this is what Windows/games/etc uses to make sound)
- ASIO OUT 31/32 (not sure what the significance of those numbers are)

Under each strip's INSERTS I've inserted a peak meter (by right-clicking) so I can visually see when these inputs are active.

If you click on the OUTPUTS button (near upper-right of window), you can see two green boxes checked under the MON column:

- I/O Card Out 1/2 (this sends mixed output of the above two strips to the analog output on the PCI board...it's what I'm using as a source for my computer speakers)
- PCI Card S/PDIF (this sends the mixed output of the above two strips to the optical digital output, which I am sending to a Benchmark DAC1).

The SYNC source is INTERNAL and locked at 44.

In Foobar2000, in the Playback settings my Output data format is "24bit fixed-point padded to 32bit" (you have to to check the "Show all options" box to see this). In the Output settings my Output method is ASIO (dll version)...under the Settings for that my Device is E-MU ASIO, thread priority is Above Normal, Buffer Size is 16, Shift Output channels is 0, and Use Direct input monitor is NOT checked. In the DSP Manager my only Active DSP is Crossfeed (less stressful on my ears for long-term listening).

That's basically all my audio-related settings between the Patchmix program and Foobar.

Why those ASIO settings? I have mine at the defaults

High process priority
highest thread priority
7 buffer size

0 channels
monitor not checked

why the changes to the priorities/buffer size?

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 8
I lowered the priority and increased the buffer size in the hopes it wouldn't interfere with the games I usually run while playing music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back