EMU 1212M modding guide
Mar 30, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pranza
Sorry Asmo, I forgot to show you the background of my problems with 1212M:
http://www.productionforums.com/emu/...?TOPIC_ID=3069

I still think your comments are harsh, I agree the emu cards are not by any means the end all ultimate source, but I would not consider them 'trash', at least compared to other soundcards.

If you read back here, the RME Digipad never really caught on because of some favorable reviews comparing it to the 1212m, maybe it would be good to look at the RME again? Maybe you could do a review on it, maybe if you have the opportunity to aquire some other cards compare it yourself.

And regarding burn-in, I always give any audio produce a few days at least burn in, before doing any sort of review.

Apr 1, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 27
I finished modding my card (caps modded as in the pics in this post http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=10), and only after a day or two the sound is magnificent.

For opamps, I settled to OPA2107 (locally bypassed between the rails with 1.5nf mica - VERY important tweak). Opamp decoupling is total crap on the EMU - most datasheets specify SMT decoupling for each supply within 1 or two mm from EACH chip, and here we have a couple of centimeters for both opas. OPA2107 has a more laid back sound and sounds more 'real' than the AD8620 at least on my equipment and my ears.

Apr 1, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 27
Lucpes,

Good to hear that the bypassing helps, this means I still have headroom to grow since I haven't mod the bypass caps yet.
Did you bypass from rail to rail for each opamp? The nearest ground I can find is quite a distance away.
I'm planning to use PCM=5 Wima MKP2 0.15uF for the bypassing. Mica is better but I guess MKP is already much better than the X7R ceramics creative used.
yeh right BTW did you remove the original X7R bypass cap?

My amp uses opa637/627, and currently the 1212M>amp>HD650 already sound super laid back. So for me the op-amp of choice is obviously AD chip (since I can't get LT chip here).

How I have a tough choice between AD8620 and AD8066.
Personally I have used AD8620 in a PiMeta Clone with very sweet sound.
I have tried using AD8065 in another PPA 1.1 clone but the sound is less vibrant than the 637/627 set. AD8065 sound kind of flat relatively.
My 1212M will be working with that PPA 1.1 clone (still using OPA637/627) after the mod.
I have heard a few saying AD8620 sound too artificial and "digital", and AD8066 is more neutral. On the other hand AD8620 seems to be pretty much the standard for modding the already more punchy 0404.
So anyone who have every heard of a 1212M modded with AD8620?

Apr 1, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhoufang
Lucpes,

Good to hear that the bypassing helps, this means I still have headroom to grow since I haven't mod the bypass caps yet.
Did you bypass from rail to rail for each opamp? The nearest ground I can find is quite a distance away.
I'm planning to use PCM=5 Wima MKP2 0.15uF for the bypassing. Mica is better but I guess MKP is already much better than the X7R ceramics creative used.
yeh right BTW did you remove the original X7R bypass cap?

I put the cap rail to rail on top of the opamp. I left the original ceramics in place. You should get something like PCM 7.5 to avoid bending the cap's legs but with a bit of stretching PCM 5 will fit too.

edit: Black Gates would most likely be lots better to use than the Panasonic FCs for analog supply filtering but that's all I had at hand.

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhoufang
So anyone who have every heard of a 1212M modded with AD8620?

I recently bought a 1212m from a user on here (twodeko) and it was modded with AD8620s by another user on here (Zemo) who did a nice job. I can't comment on how it compares to a stock 1212m though.

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghastlyone
I recently bought a 1212m from a user on here (twodeko) and it was modded with AD8620s by another user on here (Zemo) who did a nice job. I can't comment on how it compares to a stock 1212m though.

so do you notice it sounding artificial or "digital"?

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghastlyone
Nope. I have no issues with the sound, I'm really enjoying it.

glad your enjoying it, i sure do miss it :/

still working on making this RME sound good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back