EMU 1212M compatible with SoundStorm. Plus cables question
Aug 23, 2004 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have an nForce 2 motherboard with Soundtorm onboard sound. It's actually not too bad. In another thread someone recommended getting a better source rather than using digital (coax) out into a DAC since a good DAC would cost too much. With that said, I'd like to pick up a 1212M and connect it to my PPA.

So two questions

1. I still want to use the SoundStorm for games since I take it the 1212m cannot be used for games (EAX, etc). Will they coincide in the same system without any problems?

2. I know the 1212M does not use conventional minijacks. What does it use and what do I need to buy to have them connect to my amps (RCA inputs)?

Thank you in advance.

Aug 23, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 9
1) There are no known incompatibilities between SoundStorm and EMU cards, and my SoundStorm is running just fine along with my Chaintech AV-710 so you shouldn't experience any problems.

2) You need to use adapters like this one or I know that Headphile makes cables that terminate to 1/4" jacks at one end and RCA at the other.

Aug 23, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Excellent, just the answers I have been looking for.

I know in Winamp, I can choose what soundcard to use. What about games? How do you specify that it uses the nForce? Do you just have nForce setup as 'default' and tell Foobar and Winamp to use the 1212M?

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm using a 1212m along with a Soundstorm-equipped board (Abit NF7-S).

From my limited experience, you have to control the sound output of the games by setting the nForce sound as the default in the Control Panel, then configuring Winamp/Foobar to output through the EMU. This is also nice in that it keeps the Windows/Instant Messenger noises from interrupting when you're trying to enjoy the audio
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
I'm using a 1212m along with a Soundstorm-equipped board (Abit NF7-S).

From my limited experience, you have to control the sound output of the games by setting the nForce sound as the default in the Control Panel, then configuring Winamp/Foobar to output through the EMU. This is also nice in that it keeps the Windows/Instant Messenger noises from interrupting when you're trying to enjoy the audio
wink.gif

You could just disable sounds in your instant messenger and windows sound schemes :p

Also, again, so far I have no problems running games with my emu 1212m, I was playing the new counter strike: source beta all weekend (half-life 2 engine) and runs fine. Sounds great too.

No 5.1 of course, but I play games with headphones usually so 2 channel is all I need. But no performance issues of any kind.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 9
I've got the soundstorm and the emu1212m. No problems here. I just leave the soundstorm on default and put foobar on the emu. I run the analog output of the soundstorm into the analog input on the emu1212m. No switching necessary, I get all sounds at all times.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 9
What about Soundstorm S/PDIF out to EMU 1212M S/PDIF in? That would get the benefits of EMU's much better analog stage in games too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back