EMU 1212M buzz sound
Oct 6, 2004 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

J@ck

Member of the Trade: Firestone Audio
Hi
When I connect the 1212M direct to my power amps, there will be a buzz sound come out of my speakers. It is not loud, but I can hear is about 3 feet away when the music is not playing or in some quite passages.
Anyone else has the same experience/problem?
Thank you.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
Hi
When I connect the 1212M direct to my power amps, there will be a buzz sound come out of my speakers. It is not loud, but I can hear is about 3 feet away when the music is not playing or in some quite passages.
Anyone else has the same experience/problem?
Thank you.

Try floating the ring in the TRS connector.

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
Try floating the ring in the TRS connector.

Oh, yeah. You didn't mention if your amp has balanced inputs or not. Otherwise the easiest way is to use a 1/4" mono to phono adapter from Radio Shack. Plus those into the 1/4" Outputs of the Emu1212m and plug your RCA cables to that.

-Ed

Oct 13, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Sorry for taking this a bit OT, but can someone explained this whole balanced thing with the 1212M? I have never seen this come up with any other soundcard. Mine is coming Friday and I will be pairing it with a PPX3 and a PPA. I was just going to run 1/4 to RCA cables. Just plain old cables commissioned from a member here. Would that work?

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Balanced output is a mainly professional type output, not found on consumer equipment, usually.

The EMU 1212m is a professional soundcard, with a +4db Line level output, designed to be used in a true recording studio, live sound reinforcement, whatever have you.

Balanced output uses 2 signals, one of them is inverted phase compared to the original signal. This causes noise to electronically cancel out, so you can use longer unshielded cables.

Balanced outputs should only be used with balanced inputs, because otherwise there is little advantage from going with balanced equipment.

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 9
I am using a TRS - RCA connector with my normal RCA interconnects.
Grounding problem is one of the issue possible, and I am also considering the impedance mismatch problem. Is it possible?
Thank you for all the replys.

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Have you tried a TS to RCA adaptor?

Oct 13, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Have you tried a TS to RCA adaptor?

My mistake, I am using TS-RCA connectors. (Mono to RCA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back