EMU 0406 USB to replace EMU 0404 USB???
Feb 25, 2011 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chatonnoir

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm pretty new to HeadFi, although I've been reading articles and threads for a while.
A few months ago, I started to put together a DAC - Headphone Amp - Headphone package to take when I move to overseas for a Mid-length period. I sorted out Headphone (Grado SR 325i) and Headphone Amp (Creek OBH - 11 with mods) section first. When I was about to purchase DAC (EMU 0404 USB, also intended to be modded), the reseller informed me that in about 2 months time, it will be replaced with EMU 0408 USB. It turns out this was some-what credible. I contacted EMU customer support and this was their response:

The 0406 not 8 will have 2 analog inputs and 2 digital inputs. There will be 4 analog outs and 2 digital outs.
[size=medium] The Headphone out and MAIN analog out will be separated.[/size]
[size=medium] I have not seen the specs, but have been told the A to D convertors being newer than the 0404 should also be better. Similar to the ones in the 0204 USB.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thank You
Casey
[/size]
EMU Systems

After reading this I'm more curious about what it would be like. If the DAC chip is better than 0404, what are they using? I thought 0204 USB used same chip as 0404 USB...
Anyhow, is anyone from HeadFi informed about 0406 USB? I would love to know more about it!!!!
I'm dying to buy 0404 USB and mod it but it looks like I will be waiting for the new and better 0406...

Brandon

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 11
It's probably be just like the 0204, but with more features geared towards people who are using it for recording. For listening purposes, it'll almost certainly perform the same as the 0204, assuming you're using an external amp. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi, first post, but I end up at this forum almost every time I Google anything, so I thought I'd contribute.

Here is a reply I got this morning concerning the 0404 to 0406 transition.

Quote:
The 0404 USB is still an active product, but right now the focus is on some of our newer USB devices. Like the 0204 which is replacing the 0202. And the 0406 which will be replacing the 0404. This does not mean we will not be supporting the 0202 or 0404 down the road as things like drivers and accessories should cross over.

Here is a description of the 0406: E-MU 0406 USB 2.0 Audio Interface. Premium 24-bit/192kHz A/D and D/A converters. E-MU XTC Class-A ultra-low noise Mic/Line/Hi-Z preamplifiers. Comprehensive digital I/O with optical and coaxial S/PDIF. Independent headphone DAC path to enable separate playback and cueing for DJ applications. Compatibility with most popular audio/sequencer applications[size=medium].[/size]
Before you ask. I do not have a date as to when the 0406 will be available.
I believe more information will be released at Musik Messe in Germany.

Music Messe ends tomorrow. I also asked for links to any press releases concerning what was/will be revealed at the show. Still waiting on a reply.

Hope this helps.

I apologize in advance if I'm dragging up an old or irrelevant thread.

Rebekah

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 11
This sounds pretty cool. I always love the idea of lots of inputs and outputs so this is interesting to me. Please be sure to post more info as you find out!

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 11
They still need to get the official windows 7 drivers out for the usb units.... What are they waiting for?!

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back