EMU 0404usb --> amp? --> Denon D5000
Aug 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I am new to headphone amps and am finding the topic somewhat difficult to research as it seems to be a specialized field.

edit: I now have the Denon D5000s (with the thought of doing the Markl mod if needed). I already have the EMU 0404usb and it is an integral part of my Digital Audio Workstation so I don't plan on replacing it.

Here are the spec's of the EMUs headphone amp:

Type: Class-A power amplifier
D/A converter: AK4396 (shared with Line Out)
Gain Range: 60dB
Maximum Output Power: 20mW
Output Impedance: 22ohms
Frequency Response (20Hz-20kHz): +0.06/-0.035dB
Dynamic Range (A-weighted): 114dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 114dB
THD+N (1kHz, max gain): 600ohm load: -95.5dB (.0018%)
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS, 600 ohm load): < -85dB

I guess that 20mW maximum output power is fairly low? Certainly several people have told me I should consider adding an amp.

The Denons have low impedance of 25 ohms, but a max input of 1,800mW... wow, the 0404usb is in no danger of over-powerring these headphones.

Any amps I should be considering that would be a better match for the Denons? My other phones are also low-impedance such as AD700s.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Im on the way of getting a LD1+, hopefully in the next couple of days. Im also very curious of how it will sound with various tubes and opamps!

The drive will be enough, save your sorry ears!

edit: im on a 0202!

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 13
Just ordered the Denon d5000s from Headroom (headphone.com). And yesterday I ordered the Yamaha RH5MAs to possibly replace my Koss KTX Pro 1s at work; along with a bunch of new/used CDs to listen to on the new Denons.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the amp, I am still looking at the I+, which is probably a good choice for the low Impedance Denons (and the rest of my cans are all low impedance as well). However I am also looking at the TailorAudio Jade which while not ideal for low impedance cans still has some nice features that I like. I am waiting to see if more information shows up on the forums here as to how it might do with Denons and AT phones. Might be some other tube hybrid type amps that I need to look at still as well... if anyone wants to suggest any.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 13
The Denon D5000s might have a high maximum input, but they are a very sensitive headphone at 106db/mw. 20mw on these babies should prove more than enough.

As for the Little Dot I+, I must say I'm not impressed with the one I have. Changing tubes doesn't lend much improvement, even with the recommended GE408s the sound is unspectacular. To get that specific tube sound you have to go up to an (unfortunately) more expensive design.

If you're trying to get good, clean sound, your 0404 will likely suffice.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Hey thanks anetode for the down-to-earth advice. Now that the new headphones are ordered and should be here in two days, I may as well give them some time straight out of the 0404. Then down the line I will be considering an amp as well as the Markl mod for the Denons if need be.

Also thanks for the feedback on the LittleDot. I have been lately looking at the Head-Direct EF1 hybrid as a potential choice as well. All 5 of my headphones now are low impedance ranging from 25 to 60 ohms, and in the 98 to 106dB/mW sensitivity range. So a hybrid seems the best way to go if I want to try out the tube sound and the EF1 seems to be well liked and a good all-arounder - although twice the price of the LittleDot. But I do like the idea of waiting a while until the Denons are burned in and I've spent some quality time with them to see if I really need that extra amp.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 13
For its price range, EMU 0404 USB is a great choice to get up to high resolution music out from your computer and do D-to-A. I would rate the sound quality of EMU's analog outputs as mid-range audiophile (on a scale of low-end, mid-range, high-end, and ultra high-end).

The EMU's headamp performance with D5000 is not even low-end audiophile quality. It works and its 20mV output is loud enough, but the sound quality is subpar, so I suggest to consider an amp that is known to work well with low impedance headphones. Be careful with budget tube amps like LD I+, since its harder for tube amps to nicely power Denons than it is for solid state amps.

As always, YMMV, and audition first if you can.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For its price range, EMU 0404 USB is a great choice to get up to high resolution music out from your computer and do D-to-A. I would rate the sound quality of EMU's analog outputs as mid-range audiophile (on a scale of low-end, mid-range, high-end, and ultra high-end).

The EMU's headamp performance with D5000 is not even low-end audiophile quality. It works and its 20mV output is loud enough, but the sound quality is subpar, so I suggest to consider an amp that is known to work well with low impedance headphones. Be careful with budget tube amps like LD I+, since its harder for tube amps to nicely power Denons than it is for solid state amps.

As always, YMMV, and audition first if you can.

Gevorg, you certainly sound very knowledgeable about the Emu. Do you have direct experience with it? Right now my new Denons sound pretty amazing to me. They are my first pair of high-end cans though. So I still wonder if I might get even better sound by adding an amp.

Here is a question though for anyone with amp experience: If I have an amp between the emu and the headphones, isn't the amp still limited by whatever the emu sends to it?

Also, how much money are we talking here to get a noticeable and worthwhile improvement, but without breaking the bank? Any good recommendations?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't the amp still limited by whatever the emu sends to it?

Also, how much money are we talking here to get a noticeable and worthwhile improvement, but without breaking the bank? Any good recommendations?

You're on the right track, but not quite there. The line out on the 0404 is really very good, to my ears. I use it alongside much more expensive DACs, and what it gives up is forgiveable. Some people have reported their units being etched, screechy, or bright -- neither of mine have been.

The headphone amp, despite being fed a good signal, is really abysmal. It powers my Grados somewhat acceptably, but beyond that it is not so hot. While your relatively high sensitivity means that the E-MU might provide you with acceptable volume, you're leaving a lot of dynamic headroom on the table, and that will manifest itself as a flat, uninteresting sound. Not what you want, I presume.

There's a Millet Max for sale on the forums right now that would suit you wonderfully, I think. There are a lot of options in the $200 range that would yield a dramatic improvement over the stock E-MU headphone out. Audible improvement over that point is a matter of taste, really.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 13
agreed with sherwood; I have an 0404 and its line-out is quite quite good.

I never cared much about its phones-out. I would think its ok but probably not the main focus of the unit (its main claim to fame is using the so-called miracle dac chip)
wink.gif

so, keep your 0404 but use an external amp as your 'buffer' between the dac and your phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back