EMU-0404 without amp?
Apr 24, 2005 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kram Sacul

100+ Head-Fier
I recently made the plunge into headfi gear and got some Grado SR-60s to plug into the onboard sound(i know, bad) on my Asus P4c800-E Deluxe. The sound is okay but I think I'm really missing out on a lot of "crispness". They're somewhat muffled but with good bass. I'm not sure if this is the result of the headphones not being burned in all the way yet or just the quality of the onboard sound but anyway. So the next step is for a better sound card and I've been reading around and the 0404 constantly comes up. For about 100 bucks I can afford it but something is bothering me: the amp situation. I currently don't have an amp and I'm not too crazy about spending a ton of money on one at the moment so is it okay for the time being to just get a Y-Cable like this one and plug it into the 0404 and enjoy my Grados? I know eventually I'll get an amp but is this workable for now or will this sound even worse than my current setup?

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Should work OK as the SR60s don't need an amp. But you may get fed up in the long-run as the 0404 analogue out is a lineout, and ultimately this limits the maximum dynamic range / oomph you'll get compared to running amped.

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Not a fan of the EMU 0404 without an amp, even the $60 Pocket Amp V2 was a huge improvment over running with no amp. Wthout an amp the bass is sloppy and overrides everything and it is neccessary to do some serious EQ on the low end.

May 1, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 8
search the site and you will find the unanimous review of the 0404: for audio ( not gaming) this thing rocks!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
search the site and you will find the unanimous review of the 0404: for audio ( not gaming) this thing rocks!
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll also find that the 0404 supports higher impedance headphones straight out of the card much better than lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back