EMU 0404 vs Fubar 3 (or DAC vs DAC-AMP)
Jul 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

reorx

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

I am totally new to the world of pc-based audiophilia, and after finally being more or less satisfied with my portable rig, I am now turning my sights (and wallet) on my home rig. I really have no choice but to use my pc as my main source, as i spend 85% of my home-time in front of it.

After having read countless threads on DACS, amps, soundcard-to-amp, etc. discussions, I am finally ready to make my choice. I have already decided that the DT880 will be my home can (thats half the battle there), but now I need to find the proper source to drive it with.

Not living in the western hemisphere, my choices are unfortunately not as fertile as most here. Basically, I'm settling on two choices: the emu 0404 or the firestone fubar 3. (Either one costs around US$ 200, which is about the limit of my current budget)

Now, im not that familiar with all the terms yet, but i understand that the emu 0404 is a VERY good DAC, while the fubar 3 is a DAC-headphone amp combo (the fubar II dac + batterycute amp). What will be more advisable when all i want is to enjoy my DT880's?

Will the emu0404 sufficently drive the dt880s, or will i need to find a headphone amp in addition to it? Is the Fubar 3 good enough, or should i stick to the very well reviewed emu 0404, and some other external amp? (i welcome recommendations)

Hope you guys can shed some light on my queries, and maybe give some alternatives. I just want to get the most out of my flac files, and the DT880s.

Thanks guys. Im sorry for my wallet already.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 12
The E-MU 404 USB can drive my Sennheiser headphones, which have a high impedence similar to the DT880, so you can likely use that combo without a seperate amp. Yet I do like the sound better using an external amp - if you go with the 404, this would be a good future upgrade.

The 404 USB, unlike the Fubar 3, can output 2 24-bit channels at 192kHz over USB 2.0. This is great if you have source material to match, but the downside is that it needs specialized drivers, and not all OSes are supported. It does not have the capability to easily swap out op-amps as the Fubar 3 does.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Looks like the emu0404 love lives on! I am actually leaning towards the emu0404, but the fact that i will need an additional external amp for the DT880s means more wallet damage!

So the emu0404 does not have a built in amp? And what ~$100 amo should work well with the emu0404+DT880 combo? Will a go-vibe v5 suffice? (Its the only amp i have rught now, unfortunately)

Also, wheres the cheapest place i can get the emu0404? I have a friend in the States who can probably order it online for me, and bring it home for me. I have to give him the link though. He's in las vegas, any vegas people here who know where to purchase the emu0404?

Thanks again guys.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Well, xenophos did say to get an amp for full potential. Im really not after that (at least not yet....maybe in the future when im richer i can go for the much vaunted meier). If the emu0404 can drive the dt880s to adequate and acceptable levels, and im able to attain that famous dt880 detail and sound, ill be a very happy camper, even if its not "full potential". So can the emu0404 do this sans an additional amp?

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, xenophos did say to get an amp for full potential. Im really not after that (at least not yet....maybe in the future when im richer i can go for the much vaunted meier). If the emu0404 can drive the dt880s to adequate and acceptable levels, and im able to attain that famous dt880 detail and sound, ill be a very happy camper, even if its not "full potential". So can the emu0404 do this sans an additional amp?

Yes.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 12
the dt880+emu0404 should keep you grinning for a long time. Just take your time upgrading, but if you do get an external amp, just wait to get one that's better than the sub $100 amps and get one that has good synergy with it.

Full potential is really subjunctive too cause there's always going to be a better amp or source. just do the research before buying an external amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 12
I don't know about DT880s but the 0404 drives my 120 ohm K601s easily. It's too loud for me at 11 o'clock, but I like low listening levels. It doesn't drive my 600 ohm K240 Sextetts. Firestone claims that the Fubar III drives 600 ohm phones, although you probably need to take a manufacturer's claims with a grain of salt.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so,from what i understand the 0404 USB performs well with High impedance headphones,but how does the 0404 USB perform with low impedance headphones?

It doesn't perform at all with high impedance headphones, ie my 600 ohm AKGs. I feel that it performs fine with my 120 ohm AKG K601s, but on another thread someone disagreed, so YMMV. It should work fine with low impedance headphones, but the only low impedance headphones I have handy won't fit the only adapter I have handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back