EMU 0404 vs Audiophile Equipment
May 17, 2005 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

evillamer

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering how does EMU 0404 match up to standalone CD decks from Sony, Denon and alike?

Especially since the AKM dac on the EMU 0404 is intended for SACD/DVDA equipment.

I am talking about CD Audio playback purposes only.

May 18, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by evillamer
I was wondering how does EMU 0404 match up to standalone CD decks from Sony, Denon and alike?

It doesn't. It has a somewhat thin sound compared to standalone players and it misses a lot of textures.

May 18, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 45
I compared the analogue out (via headphones) of my (modded) 0404 to its digital out and a Meridian 563 and an old 1-bit DAC.

My 0404 doesn't sound thin, that's for sure. A bit muddy perhaps.
The Meridian was slightly clearer and more detailed (but not that much), but the weird thing was the old 1-bit DAC (whilst not being much clearer or more detailed) was certainly a lot sweeter in the mids and treble, and the music seemed to flow better.

Summing up I would say the analogue section is "OK" and holds up fine against most entry-low-mid-fi gear, and offers longevity/future upgrades via digital out. It offers good value for money, only takes up one PCI slot, and is easy to tweak via the DSP.

Sure you can get better sound, but you'd have to go to the Apogee / Benchmark / Bel Canto level to get a real step up from a commercial DAC. I've not heard the NOS kit-DACs, which do intrigue.

Actually, I'll compare it to my Bel Canto later tonight.

May 18, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
It doesn't. It has a somewhat thin sound compared to standalone players and it misses a lot of textures.

Argh, why is the 0404 recommended around here if it doesn't stack up against evil stand alone players?
mad.gif

May 18, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 45
Get yourself an Eastsound... someone is organizing a group buy for the US.
evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Argh, why is the 0404 recommended around here if it doesn't stack up against evil stand alone players?
mad.gif

Did you take into consideration that its only $100?

Sure, you need a computer too, but if you're typing this, then you obviously have one
icon10.gif
[size=xx-small](well, you could be at the library...but you get the point)[/size] .

May 19, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Did you take into consideration that its only $100?

The price of something doesn't make it automatically inferior. I'm just surprised it doesn't rival the stand alone crap out there. Maybe the 1212 does though.

May 19, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

I think I can help you with that question. Some people, like myself, use the pc to archive all of their music, or as a HTPC. This way I have access to all my music at one place, and in essence it acts as a jukebox for me. Being able to search through all these songs, and not worry about damaging a disc or moving from my chair is a definite convenience. The fact that I can have as good of sound as a stand-alone player AND have this convenience makes a $100 EMU 0404 purchase easy in my opinion.

May 19, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
I compared the analogue out (via headphones) of my (modded) 0404 to its digital out and a Meridian 563 and an old 1-bit DAC.

My 0404 doesn't sound thin, that's for sure.

Because you have Modded it. It's not stock anymore.

May 19, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 45
I own an 0404 and find the sound quality to be very good, noticably better than my old Santa Cruz and Chaintech AV-710. I don't know how it sounds "thin", to me it sounds very clean and accurate, nice response and good bass definition, very clear mids, and unsaturated highs. And if i want to add coloration, theres always EQ.

May 19, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

mad.gif

(1) Parts quality is not extremely high, just decent to good.
(2) It's inside the PC and subject to EMI (this can vary a LOT depending on internal setup).
(3) It's designed for pro-sumer applications and is not specifically tuned for hi-fi music listening.
(4) You've got PC fans making at least some noise and covering low-level detail.

May 19, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

The price of something doesn't make it automatically inferior. I'm just surprised it doesn't rival the stand alone crap out there. Maybe the 1212 does though.

Depends on the definition of "crap". I thought it was much better than all of the mainstream cdps. (i.e. things you easily can buy at electronics stores). If you're easily offended by how well other people think a card is, you're not using your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally i don't think any (of the discussed) internal soundcards wether it's a Digi 96/8 pad or 0404 comes close to cdps that aren't mainstream (i.e. say $600+) which i posted here too: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90390

May 19, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 45
Its better than all the popular budget £100-£200 CD players I've heard, of course its no match for the mid/higher end models like a >£500 CD player from the likes of Arcam etc... but then your comparing apples and oranges here.

~£100 doesn't buy you much of a CDP around here...
rolleyes.gif

May 19, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 45
People always seem to limit themselves to sound cards. Why not use the PC as a low-jitter transport, then have the optical signal run to a DAC on a standalone unit? That gets rid of most the EMI/RFI while making upgrades easier.

People say "i play my music on my PC because it's easy". And I dont disagree, but that doesnt mean you cant use your PC as a transport instead of the analog source which they were never designed to do. But they do push 1's and 0's around pretty well.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Joe

May 19, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erukian
People always seem to limit themselves to sound cards. Why not use the PC as a low-jitter transport, then have the optical signal run to a DAC on a standalone unit? That gets rid of most the EMI/RFI while making upgrades easier.

People say "i play my music on my PC because it's easy". And I dont disagree, but that doesnt mean you cant use your PC as a transport instead of the analog source which they were never designed to do. But they do push 1's and 0's around pretty well.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Joe

Simply because a lot of soundcards sound better than the DACs available at a reasonable price level. A external DAC is definetly the ideal solution, but to say 'any' dac automatically sounds better than an analog internal soundcard is not correct.

If only there were more high quality DACs at the $200-500 price range to compete with internal soundcards.

If there are, please enlighten us
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back