EMU 0404 Vista Beta Drivers
Jan 14, 2008 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rlcoach

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Has anybody tried the Vista Beta Drivers for the EMU 0404 USB version? Any with Vista x64?

Are they reliable enough to go with? Have they caused any system instability?

Thanks,

Andrew

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 6
just installed the emu-0404 usb onto my laptop running vista 32 bit with mixed results.

I installed the beta drivers from October from EMU's support website. They expire on January 17th (not really sure what "expire" means) so I speculate the real drivers will come out very soon.

The install process was absolutely dreadful. The system went in and out of responding and at times, and it seemed as if it would not recover. At one point, I thought I had lost it completely when the mouse stopped working. I gave it thirty minutes and watched some TV. I had to take three such breaks. The whole install process took well over an hour. It finally froze up completely so I restarted.

To my surprise, when the laptop booted up, it works! I'm listening to it now and it sounds pretty awesome.

However, my system is very unstable! My multimeter gadget says my Core2 is at 100% which is weird. No jitters or anything yet though. I'm going to put up with it 'cause it sounds great. As long as the lappy doesn't catch fire I'm good.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 6
update:
The system is now very stable and everything sounds great. It seems to use 100% of Core2 when music is playing, but I think that's normal. System performance is acceptable. I tested midi out and both of the line ins and they work just fine.

The Vista Beta drivers seem to work great once it gets up and running. I'm impressed.

edit:
Headphone amp works great too powering my AKG-501's, although it could be louder but it will do.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 6
I used the EMU0404 USB on Vista for a couple days before. Installed and work just fine for music. Didn't have any excessive CPU cycle consumption. Didn't try any input features.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 6
There have been a few blue screens of death since I first installed the drivers. Music production is next to impossible. The computer doesn't recognize the unit anymore.

The drivers have been refreshed as of yesterday. I uninstalled the drivers from October and will now attempt to use the more recent ones. The new drivers expire in May of 2008, which leads me to believe the official release may be a ways off.

edit:
the new version of the drivers installed quite easily and seemed to do the trick. The unit is back online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back