EMU 0404 USB + XLR?
Jun 19, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I want to use the XLR out on the EMU 0404 to my amp RCA in as the unbalanced out I want to use to feed a powered sub. I have RCA cables of decent quality so really just need adapter to XLR. Is the below what I need?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Female.html

0404USB_front.jpg

0404USB_back.jpg

Are there XLR outputs? AFAIK, TRS (1/4" and 1/8") only

jiitee

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 15
The L and R outs on the back are TRS (balanced).

Gatticus, the cable you linked to will not work--all it does is assigns RCA-signal to XLR-"hot" and RCA-ground to XLR-"cold". You need to output into a balanced cable from the very beginning if you want balanced signal. Something like this should work -- notice how the connector going into the 0404 has 3 contacts--"hot", "cold", and "ground" (T, R, and S).

EDIT: DUH, just re-read the OP. E-MU does not have XLR outs, only TRS outs. You need either an adapter like this, or just use a cable like this.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Ah, ok, thanks for setting me straight. That makes it even easier for me. I thought I read in this forum that it is balanced out but I guess I imagined it. I will buy two of those adapters and not a cable. Thing is though one of those adapters you pointed to is stereo and the other is mono. I believe I need two mono adapters, right? What does TRS mean anyway? And why did EMU use phono plugs out instead of just RCA? What's the benefit? Or is that what pro PA systems use?

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 15
The phono plugs are TRS BALANCED outs. If you go male TRS to male TRS you keep the balanced output. If you go TS to RCA you get unbalanced output. I think......

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 15
I use the 1/4"TS (unbalanced) to RCA cables. No need to use TRS (balanced) because the RCA connection end is unbalanced. For normal home uses balanced is not necessay anyway.

I purchased the special cable at a musicians/music store, 20' medium qulity for about $25. The cables (TS to RCA) in that length run from $10 to more than $50 for the Monster brand. A musician/manager at the store helped me select a good mid priced one, and said the Monster is not necessar; but, not to get the cheapest brand.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok, thanks for setting me straight. That makes it even easier for me. I thought I read in this forum that it is balanced out but I guess I imagined it.

Wait, wait
smily_headphones1.gif
The L, R on the back are balanced outs. The 2 Hi-Z Line/Mic on the front are inputs, and they use a combo Neutrik connector so they can accept both XLR (from a microphone) and a mono plug (from a e.g. guitar). Why didn't they use XLR on the back? Probably to save space, since round XLR jacks are huge. A balanced out like L, R of 0404usb can still work with unbalanced connection.

Quote:

I will buy two of those adapters and not a cable. Thing is though one of those adapters you pointed to is stereo and the other is mono. I believe I need two mono adapters, right?

You are right, the Monster adapter has a stereo plug. However, that does not matter, since on the other end of it there is an RCA which is mono. One of the channels from the plug just leads nowhere, the other 2 are wired to RCA's "signal" and "ground".

Quote:

What does TRS mean anyway? And why did EMU use phono plugs out instead of just RCA? What's the benefit? Or is that what pro PA systems use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_ring_sleeve

TRS means tip-ring-sleeve and refers to the 3 areas on the plug itself. It's sort of a convention for pro systems, since the jack can accommodate both balanced (TRS--"stereo plug") and unbalanced (TS, "mono mlug") connections. I suppose RCA is fairly useless in a studio environment--they don't bother arranging tons of cables they have laying on top of one another, so they just use balanced connections everywhere to cancel interference.

EDIT: I took too long to write my response, and a bunch of other appeared. Regarding the stuff I linked to, I just chose the first random thing to illustrate the point. I don't necessarily recommend the Monster plug
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 15
I would recomend buying a decent barrel connector that is balanced TRS to mono RCA to use your existing cable, you could push these two together,
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/gxp-143.html
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/GXM-133.html
or you could do TRS to XLR barrels and use an XLR cable then convert it into RCA with these.
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/GXP-246.html
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/GXR-134.html
You do get an added benefit with using a balanced cable, namely XLR, because it rejects noise and distortion more easily and remains Lo Z until it is converted into mono rca Hi z, if you use that you will get better performance, I actually do a similar thing with my guitar so I have actually tried this and there is a beneficial difference. I definitely prefer connector barrels to the cabled ones because there is less distortion and you can then upgrade to better cable and since they are connectors they don't affect the sound as much as something with cheap cable.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 15
Ack!, now you guys have me even more confused.
smily_headphones1.gif

Think I'll just go with two of these but in mono and not stereo, even though it doesn't matter if they are stereo or mono. If I don't really need balanced then I won't bother with them even if there is some benefit. Just want a simple method to get a signal to my amp and still use the 1/8 out to feed my sub. Two of the below in mono connected to my L/R RCA cable should do the trick, right?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...apter_RCA.html

Oh, and thanks for the help even if you did confuse me.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Gatticus: For the price of those two adaptors you can get a very good 20' TS (for tip-sleeve) or TRS (tip-ring-sleeeve) to RCA cable. The cable is two line (dual) L/R connections. Not having to use the adaptor you're looking at means one less connection, and you can save your RCA cable for something else.
I got my cable at Sam Ash for $27.99. If you don't have a large musicians store in your area, www.sweetwater.com sells the cables for even less.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Problem is I am in Canada and don't buy from U.S. stores so I don't know where to get those cables. I kind of want to use the cables I have already though as I have no other use for them and they are of decent quality.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 15
Sorry about the off-topic, can I use the above adaptor to connect my Presonus CS speaker out to an unbalanced power amp (with RCA input)?

Presonus CS speakers output
Type ¼” TRS Passive-Balanced
Type-Mono Activated ¼” TRS Active-Impedance Balanced

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1/4" to RCA adaptors will work fine then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back