EMU 0404 usb vs. Modded Zhaolu 2.0
Mar 15, 2008 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sid311

Head-Fier
Trying to get an idea of which one of these I want to get rid of. To me the EMU is much more revealing than the Zhaolu which I like but I am tempted to purchase a ZapFilter 2 and mod the Zhaolu with discrete output. Any thoughts or comments?

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Any thoughts on this?

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 4
After using the 0404 USB for over a year, and a Marantz SA8001 for about six months now, I can say that yes, the 0404 USB is revealing......but can tend toward the fatiguing side on less-than-top-notch recordings.

Because I primarily judge the quality of gear on well recorded (meaning minimally miked, uncompressed/unequalized) classical music, the 0404 USB comes out just a hair under the Marantz....and the Marantz has been rather well-reviewed.

OTOH, the Marantz is indeed warmer but doesn't give up detail, so it is less fatiguing and generally preferable on lesser recordings.

I don't know which DAC chip is in your Zhaolu--I think it's probably a CS4398--but the 0404 USB seems to be a good example of the AKM "house sound" versus the Marantz being a good example of the Cirrus "house sound".

It may very well be that improving the analog output of the Zhaolu will keep the "CS warmth" but add clarity, and the end result will be preferable to the 0404 USB on most recordings.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I'm still on the fence as to what I'm going to do but I have to admit I am enjoying the more revealing nature of the EMU. You were correct about my Zhaolu I do indeed have the CS4398 DAC chip.

-sid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back