EMU 0404 USB to go with Little dot MK III and DT880 (250 Ohm) and iMac
Nov 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

foges

Head-Fier
I have an iMac->LittleDot MK III->DT880's and I am not completely satisfied with the sound, especially because there is quite a bit of background noise so I was planning on getting a DAC to go with the setup. I've read that the EMU 0404 is supposed to be good. Anyone care to comment on the following: Can i expect to hear any sort of improvement? Secondly, can i expect the noise to be gone? Thirdly, would you recommend another DAC instead?

PS: The noise is completely gone when i unplug the LittleDot from my computer. 

PPS: I am expecting an increase in sound quality because using an old beogram record player as a source made a night and day difference...

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 4
I just read somewhere that it is a waste of money to get the 0404 if you only want it for its DAC capabilities and that there are better alternatives out there, any merit to that statement?

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 4
An unshielded sound card will still have that "Buzz" or "Humm" you have, due to EMI inside the computer.

Your best choice is a DAC. Just make sure that the  DAC has drivers for your mac.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 4
A good quality PCI sound card has perfect performance, relatively speaking. The only way a hum would exist is if you had an unusually poorly designed computer or a poorly designed sound card. It is not difficult to achieve SNRs over 100dB from even a cheap PCI soundcard if you pick somewhat carefully.

The EMU0404 USB is overkill for just DAC use. It has superb performance in all of it's possible functions; but that is the thing - it is a multi-use device and if you don't need any of it's other features you don't need to spend the money for that product. I have one of these, and it's great, but I use it for recording, measurements, as a mic pre, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back