EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Jan 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #32 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a completely noob question, but the emu can basically be used as a DAC correct?

Yes, the 0404 USB can be used as a standalone DAC via its digital coaxial or optical inputs.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #33 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the 0404 USB can be used as a standalone DAC via its digital coaxial or optical inputs.

so you would just need like an RCA to mini interconnect or something to hook it up to your amp?

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #34 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you would just need like an RCA to mini interconnect or something to hook it up to your amp?

You could use a 1/8" stereo mini to two RCA Y-adapter, but a better option is two 1/4" mono TS to RCA cables (or two RCA-RCA cables with RCA to 1/4" adapters on one set of ends).

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #36 of 265
* Macintosh analog operation up to 96kHz and digital operation up to 48kHz only at this time.

I just read this on the EMU site: anyone know what that's all about??

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #37 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Possibly an issue working with CoreAudio and USB. The only way they could get higher sampling rates to work over USB in Windows was to build their own USB drivers from scratch, instead of using the supplied drivers.

Most audio interfaces designed for Macintoshes work via Firewire, so perhaps it's easier to implement. It could also be due to inexperience coding drivers for OS X.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #38 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Macintosh analog operation up to 96kHz and digital operation up to 48kHz only at this time.

Input, perhaps.

It will run in 96/24 out via usb on 10.4 and 10.5. (not 192, but I doubt you'd notice).

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #39 of 265
Quote:

You could use a 1/8" stereo mini to two RCA Y-adapter, but a better option is two 1/4" mono TS to RCA cables (or two RCA-RCA cables with RCA to 1/4" adapters on one set of ends).

I dont understand why the latter would be a "better" option. Since the two connections are on the same output, wouldnt they be the same?

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #40 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont understand why the latter would be a "better" option. Since the two connections are on the same output, wouldnt they be the same?

Larger contact areas (vs. one small contact area for both channels), further physical separation between cables, and the possibility of using larger gauge wire.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #41 of 265
does any up-sample with their emu 0404 usb? I get tons of lag when I try...i can only do 46 and 88 w/o cracks and pops?

Not exactly sure what up-sampling does...anyone notice an effect in sound quality? does it matter that i dont use another amp for my hd595s?

got give some mad props to the emu 0404 usb hizooww

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #42 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does any up-sample with their emu 0404 usb? I get tons of lag when I try...i can only do 46 and 88 w/o cracks and pops?

Not exactly sure what up-sampling does...anyone notice an effect in sound quality? does it matter that i dont use another amp for my hd595s?

Upsampling by itself shouldn't do anything. It's like taking a picture and enlarging it--the information itself is the same, but the picture is bigger. It only makes a difference when it's used for oversampling.

Theoretically, upsampling should sound the same, but it doesn't because an interpolation filter is required to make it sound more pleasing. This means that upsampling is an imperfect representation of the original signal.

If you experience lag when upsampling, it's probably due to your computer's speed. Perfect upsampling would require an infinite amount of calculations, so just approximating ideal upsampling requires a fast computer.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't upsample unless it was required.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #43 of 265
Quote:

Upsampling by itself shouldn't do anything. It's like taking a picture and enlarging it--the information itself is the same, but the picture is bigger. It only makes a difference when it's used for oversampling.

Theoretically, upsampling should sound the same, but it doesn't because an interpolation filter is required to make it sound more pleasing. This means that upsampling is an imperfect representation of the original signal.

If you experience lag when upsampling, it's probably due to your computer's speed. Perfect upsampling would require an infinite amount of calculations, so just approximating ideal upsampling requires a fast computer.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't upsample unless it was required.

thanks for the reply, defintely won't be upsampling

quick question however: 99% of my recordings are 44hz and the emu 0404 usb displays a sample rate of 44hz in the control pannel, which makes sense. However, when I play my 24bit/96hz vinyl rip of OK computer, it still display 44hz even though winamp says it 96hz. So is it down-sampling? Will this effect sound quality? Is there a way to make it auto sync. I can set the sample rate on the emu control panel to 96hz no problem, just a little anoying.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #45 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by andre.beat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine autosyncs. Although I use foobar with ASIO. Also try selecting the sync source to internal if it already isn't.

I don't yet understand why, because I have the same versions of Foobar, ASIO, and the 0404 USB drivers, all configured the same way on both my desktop and my notebook, but autosync behaves differently to some degree.

I can enable/disable upsampling to 96 kHz in Foobar on my notebook "on the fly" (while I am playing a cut in Foobar) and the 0404 USB doesn't miss a beat--there might be a little click, but the unit immediately resyncs to the higher/lower rate with no problems.

OTOH, if I enable upsampling in the middle of a cut with my desktop, the music immediately slows down and the pitch drops. For some reason, the instruction to change sampling rate seems not to make it through to the external box, so it keeps reclocking the data to the d/a at 44.1 kHz. The E-MU control panels shows that it's sync'ed at the higher rate, but that is really untrue--it's just sending the data over at the higher rate.

If I stop and restart playback, then the external box resyncs to the new rate.

Seems as if the behavior you are experiencing is different from either of my machines--so this all may have to do with some unusual behavior of the driver on various systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back