Emu 0404 USB Melting 0_o
Aug 11, 2009 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eg0

New Head-Fier
So about 3 hours ago I heard a loud "pop" noise from my emu 0404 usb box, and subsequently started to smell something akin to burning plastic. I turned it off and let it sit for a few hours, and now that the smell has dissipated the box seems to be running fine at least the headphone out (which is all I use it for anyway.)

It's still under warranty, do you think I should be concerned and possibly look into repairs, or should I just ignore it if it is working fine for what I use it for?

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Sounds a capacitor blew. If it's still under warranty like you said, you should turn it in.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds a capacitor blew. If it's still under warranty like you said, you should turn it in.

At the time the 0404 was turned on but wasn't in use, is this still likely what happened?

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by eg0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the time the 0404 was turned on but wasn't in use, is this still likely what happened?

A capacitor can blow any time it's turned on, so, yes.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by suo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was there a thunderstorm at the time? That might be the cause, as I've never heard of something melting due to a failed capacitor..

There was a thunderstrom earlier in the day, but not when I heard the loud pop noise. I'm not sure it actually was "melting", it's just that I smelled something like burning plastic
confused.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Open it up, take some pictures, and post them on here.

Or, if you're under warranty, just manufacture a problem and send it in.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 11
I haven't posted here lately but I thought I would update for those with any interest. The 0404 was under warranty so after dealing with support I was able to exchange it for a new one.

It was about a 3 week turnaround but my warranty was extended by that same amount of time.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back