EMU 0404 USB is killing frame per second :( need help
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I got a EMU 0404 USB 2.0 connected to my lenovo t61p laptop. The problem is when playing games like counter strike 1.6 and warcraft 3 my fps - with the EMU turned on - show a lot of fluctuations. Going from a 100 fps to 20 fps and back up, it's very annoying in these games.
When I turn the EMU off mid-game my fps goes to a steady number again: in cs to 100 fps and in w3 to 64 fps, which are the maximum fps for these games. But then I have no sound. Playing with the onboard chip gives me good fps too...

I have updated the emu firmware and driver, but it didn't help. Are some settings wrong?

Can anybody help
confused.gif

Cheers!

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi!

I thonk it's known that the EMU USB drivers consume a lot of cpu cicles for what they actually do ... (as opposite to RME cards i.e.).

I would not use the EMU USB for games, just for playback of audio files.

Greetz
Harald

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 9
I guess that's it then.... I can't think of anything else. I have put it up for sale on a dutch website. Guess I'll be getting something else...

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 9
I did some testing with onboard vs usb emu: (Frames/s avg.)

Counter strike source stress test: Onboard:182 EMU:165
Company of Heroes Performance test: Onboard: 37.1 EMU: 37.3
And in counter strike 1.6 and warcraft 3 there is a clear fps unstableness when using EMU. I I guess the EMU doesn't go good with old games somehow. It's probably a setting or something...

Any suggestions?

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 9
^ Marktplaats ermee.
wink.gif

I use a sound card (x-fi) to get a digital out to my DAC. Works wonders.

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Not sure if this would work, but you could disconnect the EMU and feed it sound from your onboard soundcard via S/PDIF. (if you have the thinkpad dock there is an RCA jack for SPDIF out on it)

Not exactly a pretty fix, but would take the load off your cpu and still give you the good dac in the emu. I have a T60p as well as the 0404, but I just use my speakers when gaming so I haven't encountered this problem.

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 9
I might try to buy an audigy 2 zs notebook with spdif, they go cheap today. So I can connect the emu via spdif. But does the emu still be to have connected via usb? it's not very clear to me... any1?

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
No i can't but it shouldn't be the problem since only older games seem to suffer from the emu... New games do just fine, that's why it's so wierd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back