EMU 0404 USB DVD audio through headphone jack
Apr 6, 2009 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Logan Nolag

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I recently got an EMU 0404 USB and it works and sounds great but I have a few questions.

First I noticed that when I play DVDs the sound only comes through the digital output. I know that this is because the DVD sound is DTS or DD and the 0404 cannot decode those formats it only sends them out through the SPDIF jacks. Normally this is not a problem because I usually watch DVDs with my AV receiver and surround sound speakers. Sometimes however I like to watch movies with the sound routed through my headphones.

I know I could just use the headphone jack on my receiver or send the sound from my receivers analogue out to the 0404s inputs but the headphone jack on my receiver is fairly low quality and I would rather not have to tie up the 0404 inputs. I was wondering if there was any way to simply get the DVD audio to play straight though the 0404s headphone jack.

My second question also relates to DD and DTS passthrough. I noticed that when I play a DVD or other DD/DTS signals the 0404 drivers automatically switch the sample rate to 48khz. I was wondering if there was any way to get the drivers to automatically detect and switch to the sample rate of the other audio files I play or at least switch back to 44.1khz after the DD/DTS signal stops. I know I can just switch the sample rate manually but I was wondering if there was any way to get the drivers to do it for because I am lazy and I would rather not have to open the 0404 control panel every time I need to change the sample rate.

If anybody can answer these questions I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Logan Nolag

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

I know I could just use the headphone jack on my receiver or send the sound from my receivers analogue out to the 0404s inputs but the headphone jack on my receiver is fairly low quality and I would rather not have to tie up the 0404 inputs. I was wondering if there was any way to simply get the DVD audio to play straight though the 0404s headphone jack.

Install AC3 filter and all needed codecs on your pc (link to good codec-pack), use preferably MPC for playback (their filters are awesome), but WMP will do too.
Insert the DVD into your pc, and when playing, look at the icon next to your clock. There should be an icon called "FFD Show", click on it, goto AC3filter (should be at the top). Configure the settings the way they should, (input 5.1 24-bit, output 2.0 24-bit) and finally it should work like it should.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

My second question also relates to DD and DTS passthrough. I noticed that when I play a DVD or other DD/DTS signals the 0404 drivers automatically switch the sample rate to 48khz.

When not using ASIO or similar, windows will use his awesome KMIXER, a.k.a. high-quality-audio-downgrader-to-crappy-audio. Kmixer decides what sampling rate your audio should be. It automaticly resamples all your music to 48Khz, ofcourse with superior algorithm's. (that should be read in a sarcastic way, it sounds like crap and introduces artifacts) However, my understanding is that DVD audio was 96Khz, and it shouldn't resample samplingrates >48Khz. So my guess is that your codec's are messed up.
(also, I remember somewhere overriding the default 48Khz kmixer preferences, i don not remember where those options are though
redface.gif
)

ASIO or similar audiowrappers sent their data in native format, so always try to use such, not the kmixer.

Btw, FYI, I am using my onboard 'HD audio' for DVD's and other AC3/DTS sources. The AC888 has native AC3 downmixxer which sound SUPERIOR to AC3filter's stereo downmix. However i am still using AC3filter to reencode DTS to AC3 (lol) but I do not hear an (big enough) difference. (if you have any clipping problems with DTS sources, lower the Gain in AC3Filter, I use -7 myself)

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I am running vista ultimate 64bit. I think that might change the solution a bit. If I'm not mistaken that codec pack is for XP and vista does not have kmixer.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 4
OK I solved all my problems. If you go the playback devices properties and uncheck the boxes for DD/DTS and all the bit rates except for 44.1 windows never tries to playback anything in any format except for stereo and 44.1 including DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back