EMU 0404 USB - Connection Question
Jan 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rlcoach

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have ordered the EMU 0404 USB, to replace my internal sound card. I am also trying to optimise my sound setup and have a bit of a noobie quesiton.

I currently have a headphone amplifier, and am also looking at replacing my speaker system but am unsure how I can hook things up.

The EMU0404 has 2 audio outputs. Does that mean I could connect both my headphone amplifier and a stereo amplifier/active speakers at the same time? Does the EMU 0404 have a hardware/software switch to pick which output is used at any one time, or is the audio always output to both?

On a side issue, I am undecided whether to get something like the Audioengine A2 (Active speakers), or get a stereo amp like the Marantz PM4001 and some reasonably small speakers like the Q Acoustics Q1010i to go on my desk.

Any suggestions or advice?

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlcoach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EMU0404 has 2 audio outputs. Does that mean I could connect both my headphone amplifier and a stereo amplifier/active speakers at the same time? Does the EMU 0404 have a hardware/software switch to pick which output is used at any one time, or is the audio always output to both?

Yes, you can keep both headamp and "speaker amps" attached at the same time.......presumably with the headamp connected via the 1/8" mini jack, the speaker rig via the 1/4" TRS jacks (TRS plugs if your active monitors have balanced inputs, TS plugs or TS plug-to-RCA jack adapters if your other gear has unbalanced inputs.)

The mini plug is simply in parallel with the 1/4" output jacks, so the signal is always present at both outputs, and is always controlled by the Main Output level knob.

That's not really a problem if you are using a headamp and an integrated amp......you'd simply leave the Main Output level maxed out all the time and control the listening volume on the downstream device.

Likewise, even if you are using active monitors, you could control the volume via the Main Output control, then just remember to turn it up when using the headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back