emu 0404 usb beta driver expired
Jan 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Piru

New Head-Fier
Hi to all,

I have an emu 0404 usb and I have been using it on vista with beta drivers for the past 2 months with no problems. But today it stopped working, reason being that beta drivers "expired" !?!?

Has somebody discovered a new beta version, or a way to extend beta driver expiration period?

Thanks and Happy Listening :)
Piru

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 15
Yeah, the beta driver expired on me this morning too. What a bunch of crap...making a driver that expires!
mad.gif
Anyway, I just uninstalled the beta driver and installed the official Windows XP driver and it works fine under Windows Vista. I got one error message during the installation, but I just selected the option to 'Continue' and the installation completed successfully and all is well.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by a3aan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See Home - E-MU

Why bother installing a driver that's just going to expire again? The official XP driver is working fine for me, so that's what I'll continue using until an official, non-expiring, driver comes out for Vista.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wekania /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new 0404 USB drivers, dated 18-Jan-08, installed correctly on my Vista system. There is now a toolbar applet for setting sampling rates.

There always was that toolbar. However if you let vista install the driver by searching the CD rather than running the EMU install, that control panel didnt install.

I had problems with the XP drivers on vista. If I was playing music with foobar, and turned off the soundcard, it would crash my computer. The first time I did it I think it bluescreened, after that it just hanged.

Its ****ing outrageous they had yet to release proper vista drivers. The 0404 USB was released after there was a vista release available.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 15
This is totally crap from EMU, I just a reply from their customer service:

'An updated/renewed driver will be released very soon. Be sure to keep an eye on the website for any updates regarding their release!
We do also expect that the full release of our 0202/0404 USB Vista drivers will be very soon as well, as we just released the full drivers for our digital audio systems. '

What the h*ll are we supposed to do in the meantime? I upgraded to vista only after I was sure that my beta driver was working fine and now I'm screwed.

I've worked for the past 8 years in IT and i have yet to see such a dumb idea of an expiring beta release.

init6: thx for your help , I will try to install xp drivers too

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just installed the new beta driver, and it's not just a driver.......it installs new firmware in the "box", too.

Oh, dont get me started with that. Last time I tried to install that new firmware, it hung......... i was worried that it was going to be bricked.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 15
I never bothered with the Beta drivers . Just followed the instructions on the E-MU webpage for installing the official Windows XP driver when running Vista .Haven't experienced any problems when using the USB0404 like this..

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, dont get me started with that. Last time I tried to install that new firmware, it hung......... i was worried that it was going to be bricked.

Vista or XP?

Running XPSP2, that's gone off without a hitch several times. I was able to flip back and forth several times. between the April '07 official driver and the previous beta to compare them.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 15
vista

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 15
I agree that E-MU should have been on top of this much sooner, but my father recently upgraded to Vista and ran into a variety of issues with other non-audio hardware and software, too. I have the impression that MS might not have done such a great job on their end, either.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 15
yeah! what the heck is their deal taking so long to release the official vista drivers? On the other hand, we all bought the 0404 knowing we would have to use the beta drivers. It was worth it to me.

The new driver seems much more stable than the old driver, and it wasn't much of a hassle to uninstall the old driver and reinstall the new one (for me). The firmware upgrade did not hang my laptop this time.

I wish they would come out with the official drivers already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back