EMU 0404 player software?
Nov 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jamess71

500+ Head-Fier
Just ordered a 0404. What do you guys use to play audio? I have iTunes with ALAC files and also have all the original copies in FLAC. Does the player I use affect the sound quality?

James

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 9
foobar with EMU-ASIO output.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a 0404. What do you guys use to play audio? I have iTunes with ALAC files and also have all the original copies in FLAC. Does the player I use affect the sound quality?

It can, especially if you use audio plug-ins or the software's internal volume control. But if you don't, then in general the answer is no. Just remember to disable audio enhancements in iTunes as they're enabled by default (ex. Sound Enhancer).

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foobar with EMU-ASIO output.
biggrin.gif

I have foobar. what is the EMU-ASIO output? Is the sound out of the emu gonna be much better than the ipod line out? thanks again

James

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have foobar. what is the EMU-ASIO output? Is the sound out of the emu gonna be much better than the ipod line out?

When you install the drivers and plug in the 0404 USB, you'll have the option in Foobar under Playback/Output Device to select ASIO output. This is bypasses the Windows Mixer (similar to KS), which is a good thing.

And yes, by all accounts, the 0404 USB should sound much better than a standard iPod's line out. One Head-Fier said that the 0404 USB was comparable to if not better than a Red Wine Audio iMod, which costs roughly $500 for both the iPod and the modification.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 9
I have the 0404 installed and plugged in, but can't find the option for ASIO output. I am not sure if I have the proper settings.

My settings below:

Preference - Playback - Output - Output Method is set to waveOut.
Preference - Playback - Output - Direct Sound - Device: E-MU 0404 USB
Preference - Playback - Output - waveOut - Device: E-MU 0404 USB

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 9
You need to have the proper ASIO plug-in installed in Foobar to see that option in Playback>Output.

It's not part of the default installation, so you need to find the right plug-in for the version of Foobar that you are using.

That being said.....Foobar 0.9.x versions seem to lose ASIO configuration data every time Foobar is closed and reopened, so those of us that use ASIO tend to run Foobar 0.8.3.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 9
JRiver Media Jukebox 12 (FREE!) for music only
-or -
JRiver Media Center 12 ($40) if you prefer music / video / images / etc.

Both will do 'secure-rip', burn CDs, and sync iPods and other such devices as well as a million functions for organizing, tagging, etc.

And of course they use ASIO for great sound quality as well as Direct-Sound or Wav-out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back