Emu 0404 owners - please help with simple question
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spinneresque

100+ Head-Fier
I just got an Emu 0404, using with a Macbook Pro, and I need to know if the sound-output in my system preferences is set to the EMU USB (the sound is going out of my computer to the USB) and I have my headphones (Senn hd-595's) plugged into the headphone socket, am I ACTUALLY USING THE DAC?? I really want to test the DAC, only. If this is not the way, could someone please tell me how to do it? Thanks so much....

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got an Emu 0404, using with a Macbook Pro, and I need to know if the sound-output in my system preferences is set to the EMU USB (the sound is going out of my computer to the USB) and I have my headphones (Senn hd-595's) plugged into the headphone socket, am I ACTUALLY USING THE DAC?? I really want to test the DAC, only. If this is not the way, could someone please tell me how to do it? Thanks so much....

Yes, you're using the DAC. If you want to test only the DAC and not the built in headamp, you'll need to hook up another headamp to the 0404.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 11
thank you so so much for the quick reply. This has been driving me crazy. So if I want to test the DAC without using (additionally) the headphone amp, I just plug the mini "main" output on the back into a separate amp's input?

again thank you

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

thank you so so much for the quick reply. This has been driving me crazy. So if I want to test the DAC without using (additionally) the headphone amp, I just take plug the mini "main" output on the back into a separate amp's input?

again thank you

that wouldn't test just the DAC either, as you're still going through the internal DSP and other circuitry thats part of the 0404

its more or less impossible to listen to JUST the D/A stage of the 0404 due to its design, although the closest you could likely do is to plug a digital source into the S/PDIF input and feed its line output into some sort of other amplifier, here's the issue:

how do you know what you're hearing isn't the result of the other amplifier, digital source, or some other change in the system, and not because of the D/A itself?
wink_face.gif

in other words, what you want is impossible, because you can't do it changing only one variable at a time

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks OBO..vich.
smily_headphones1.gif
The main thing was I wanted to make sure the DAC aspect of the EMU was included in what I was hearing. So now I have more peace in that way.

By the way, I think it sounds great with my HD595's and macbook pro.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Thanks OBO..vich.
smily_headphones1.gif
The main thing was I wanted to make sure the DAC aspect of the EMU was included in what I was hearing. So now I have more peace in that way.

By the way, I think it sounds great with my HD595's and macbook pro.

ah, yes, you are using the 0404 exclusively if its just going USB -> 0404 -> HD 595

there is no worry of the onboard sound being shared in this, unless you had TOS or Coax S/PDIF out from the macbook -> 0404, or analog line out from the macbook -> 0404

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 11
I just read that you will get better sound out of the main output than you will from the headphone output because the headphone amp is not so good. Is plugging my headphones directly into the main output allowed/advisable? I would guess that they would be "unamped," or at least not using the headphone amp in the EMU, and that's fine at least for testing purposes.

My question for you is: Could I try plugging the Main output into a separate headphone amp via mini-cable, and also could I try plugging them into Main Output directly?

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

If you don't like the sound of the 0404 headphone out, you can connect it to another headphone amplifier (that's what I do).

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I just read that you will get better sound out of the main output than you will from the headphone output because the headphone amp is not so good. Is plugging my headphones directly into the main output allowed/advisable? I would guess that they would be "unamped," or at least not using the headphone amp in the EMU, and that's fine at least for testing purposes.

My question for you is: Could I try plugging the Main output into a separate headphone amp via mini-cable, and also could I try plugging them into Main Output directly?

basically to X2 defectiveaudiocomponent: yes you can do everything that you just said

the hp amp in the E-MU isn't "awful", but its basic (consider that this is marketed to home studio users, and the hp amp is kind of an "extra", so it isn't targetting audiophiles who want to drive really complex loads and whatnot), in other words you can potentially get better performance with an amp more closely matched/suited to your hp's of choice

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back