EMU 0404 hiss: why?
Sep 12, 2005 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chim

Head-Fier
I have a custom made 6 pin connector, could this be the reason behind the hiss? I would hate to find another connector for it, as it works perfectly. whenever I remove the cable, it gives a loud audible permanent hiss. Plugging the cable back in seems to lessen the hiss, but its still there.

The EMU setup used to be dead silent.

EDIT: i am connecting it to a gilmore lite, and then using alessandro ms1s

Sep 12, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 16
did you turn down the master volumn of 0404 to 60%-70%?
0404 gives hiss on full volumn and this is an known issue.

Sep 12, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 16
hiss may come from analog inputs... try lowering those if you have them anabled in patchmix.
cheers

Sep 12, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 16
if you put the master volumn to full volumn +12, when listen to music you will hear broken sound.

Sep 12, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blomquist
hiss may come from analog inputs... try lowering those if you have them anabled in patchmix.
cheers

how do i do this? All i have is an ASIO out and a WAVE L/R

edit: through further testing, i have found it to be the fault of the gilmore lite amplifier. thanks

Sep 12, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 16
no hiss even i modded it. 0.0 main volume.

Sep 13, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chim
how do i do this? All i have is an ASIO out and a WAVE L/R

edit: through further testing, i have found it to be the fault of the gilmore lite amplifier. thanks

thanks for the followup! i'm glad you followed up on your thread, it helps dispell rumors like *i read in a thread that the 0404 is hissy!*
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 16
actually, upon further testing, it does seem to be the emu 0404. It's just this slight static sound in the background whenever i crank the volume, it didnt used to do this. Whenever the computer is powered down, the gilmore lite is dead silent. It is only have the patchmix DSP is applied that the emu0404 starts the hiss

any ideas?

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Hiss on full volume? Not in my 0404.

Nor on mine. Unmodded, stock breakout cables, Radioshack Fusion RCAs to Headsave Classic v2. I can crank the volume on both the amp and in PatchMix to full, and it's totally silent no matter what headphones I try with it.
Quote:

actually, upon further testing, it does seem to be the emu 0404. It's just this slight static sound in the background whenever i crank the volume, it didnt used to do this. Whenever the computer is powered down, the gilmore lite is dead silent. It is only have the patchmix DSP is applied that the emu0404 starts the hiss

any ideas?

Do you have anything connecting to the analog input of the 0404?

Oct 3, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
Nor on mine. Unmodded, stock breakout cables, Radioshack Fusion RCAs to Headsave Classic v2. I can crank the volume on both the amp and in PatchMix to full, and it's totally silent no matter what headphones I try with it.

Do you have anything connecting to the analog input of the 0404?

nope, not at all. This is pretty confusing, do you think its a PCI slot problem? The problem just recently surfaced and is extremely annoying. I tried to update drivers to no avail

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

nope, not at all. This is pretty confusing, do you think its a PCI slot problem? The problem just recently surfaced and is extremely annoying. I tried to update drivers to no avail

I suppose anything's possible. Try switching slots, or perhaps try the card in another computer, if you're able. The second would certainly tell you if it's the card and not a software issue. If does end up being the card, look and see about getting it replaced under warranty.

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 16
What program are you using on your computer? I had the volume in Foobar too high and noticed problems like you are having. Lower it to about 90%, while keeping everything in Patchmix at 0.0. This fixed all of my problems.

Also, have you tried using different encoding methods?

edit: Another thing I just thought of is the sheilding of the cable. Is there any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back