EMU 0404 full scale voltage output?
Mar 2, 2005 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

breez

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I wonder how high voltage (in RMS) the card gives out at full scale? I'd like to know now so I can set my diy amp gain correctly to match with my stepped attenuator (coarse steps at extremes..) and I will not receive the card until next week.

Thanks

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 5
I thought I remembered reading this somewhere but can't find it. I'll put mine on the multimeter when I get home and report back if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 5
With a full scale 1kHz sinewave, I measure 2.03 V. I assume that's peak-to-peak. I verified that a 1/2 scale sine measures 1.015 V.

Mar 3, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks. It seems to be a little lower than what the Chaintech outputs, but no problem at all.

edit:

Or can the reading be RMS? Because I tried googling about the "-10dBV" term often used and found out that it is the nominal level and there is some indefinitive amount of headroom depending on the equipment. I found reference to 6.4dBV full scale level (on EMU 0404) which would amount to around ~2.09Vrms.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 5
well, after a little Googling, I found that all multimeters measure RMS voltage. Only certain ones measure "true RMS," but since I was using a single sine input, plain old RMS = "true RMS"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back