Emu 0404 and Audigy2 woes...
Aug 13, 2004 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I got the audigy2 and Emu0404 running together, except that the Emu drivers broke all my old Audigy2 controls! I didnt get a chance to "cancel" new hardware install, instead, a windowsxp authentication window popped asking me if I wanted to continue installing unsigned drivers. Clicked no. Installed drivers from cd, but it immediately gave me an error that it was trying to copy over a file that already existed "ctdvinst.dll"... I told it to overwrite. Then some read-only errors... fine, lets go already. Reboot, both soundcards function properly, but I now no longer have access to any of the audigy2 software controls; no eax console, speaker settings, etc (although EAX still works). When I click on one of the Audigy programs it says "Unable to change sound device to your selected device." Don't tell me this is normal???

I'll get around to reviewing/comparing this card later... I don't think now is the time for "objectivity"

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 14
remove the audigy 2 from your computer :p

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 14
actually, removing it might not be such a bad idea. after you remove it, confirm that the emu 0404 is still working fine than shutdown and reinstall the audigy 2. see what happens.

i got my audigy 2 and emu 1212m working fine and i did the following.

the audigy 2 was already installed, but it was a driver only installation.

when i installed the 1212M the installation only asked to overwrite one file and that was:
"ctdvinst.dll" (same one as you mentioned). i clicked on "NO" . and it asked about 3 times more during the installation.

by the way, if you have windows xp try using system restore to return to a point before installing the 0404 than try again.

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
actually, removing it might not be such a bad idea. after you remove it, confirm that the emu 0404 is still working fine than shutdown and reinstall the audigy 2. see what happens.

i got my audigy 2 and emu 1212m working fine and i did the following.

the audigy 2 was already installed, but it was a driver only installation.

when i installed the 1212M the installation only asked to overwrite one file and that was:
"ctdvinst.dll" (same one as you mentioned). i clicked on "NO" . and it asked about 3 times more during the installation.

by the way, if you have windows xp try using system restore to return to a point before installing the 0404 than try again.

Everything works fine except some of the software for the audigy2 is broken (as described). If you don't have the eax console, surround mixer, or speaker settings programs installed, then you wouldn't be able to confirm if they're broken if one had chosen to decline installing the emu's ctdvinst.dll, as you did and I did not. It's not a big deal, but I did occassionaly use the eax program to switch to cmss2 for movies and to my 4.1 setup.

I might give system restore a shot, but I'm concerned it may lead to more problems than it might solve. More to follow..

Aug 14, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 14
have you tried reinstalling the individual components? eventhough i only did a driver-only install, i was later able to add the speaker console for the audigy.
also, there is a ctpanel.exe file which you can configure most things (if not all) for the audigy 2. it's located in C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Program\WDM\COMMON

Aug 14, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Is Audigy 2 your default sound device? If not, that could be the problem. Or if you have foobar open, and foobar is using the EMU, and you try to use the Audigy 2 EAX console that would be a problem too. If it's not either of those, you probably will need to reinstall the cards.

Aug 14, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
have you tried reinstalling the individual components? eventhough i only did a driver-only install, i was later able to add the speaker console for the audigy.
also, there is a ctpanel.exe file which you can configure most things (if not all) for the audigy 2. it's located in C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Program\WDM\COMMON

Dude, that ctpanel is awesome! I never knew about that... it's like all the other programs in one, and without the slow, crappy interfaces (that also had tendencies to crash and never relaunch without reboot)! Now I don't need to reinstall anything; thanks!

Aug 15, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Distroyed: is everything okay now? If not, I would say that if you want complete control over your Audigy 2, completely uninstall EVERYTHING for both the Audigy and the E-MU. I'm talking a complete wipe of anything Creative from your HD. Then turn off your comp. Put in ONLY your Audigy and install all necessary (stuff you want) software and update it online. Test drive the software and see if everything is cool. Then install your E-MU and turn on the comp. The Add Hardware Wizard should come up after power on. Opt out of it like the plague. Put the E-MU CD in. Anytime the installation asks you to overwrite a file, DO *NOT* overwrite. The reason being is, all the shared files are newer for the Audigy since you updated previously. I repeat do NOT overwrite any file it asks you to, and there will be a lot of asking
smily_headphones1.gif
After the software is installed, you may have to reboot, I cannot remember. You should be good to go from there. I hope this helps
580smile.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Distroyed: is everything okay now? If not, I would say that if you want complete control over your Audigy 2, completely uninstall EVERYTHING for both the Audigy and the E-MU. I'm talking a complete wipe of anything Creative from your HD. Then turn off your comp. Put in ONLY your Audigy and install all necessary (stuff you want) software and update it online. Test drive the software and see if everything is cool. Then install your E-MU and turn on the comp. The Add Hardware Wizard should come up after power on. Opt out of it like the plague. Put the E-MU CD in. Anytime the installation asks you to overwrite a file, DO *NOT* overwrite. The reason being is, all the shared files are newer for the Audigy since you updated previously. I repeat do NOT overwrite any file it asks you to, and there will be a lot of asking
smily_headphones1.gif
After the software is installed, you may have to reboot, I cannot remember. You should be good to go from there. I hope this helps
580smile.gif

I wish someone would have mentioned this before :p

But that ctpanel is actually much better than the 3 applications that I lost access to, so it would be a waste of time for me to try to get them back. Thanks for the walkthrough though; when I do reformat in the future, I'll know how to do it right.

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 14
(In very humble voice): It appears to be happeneing to me as well now. I have no way to fix it. I am just using the handy little app, but I have no way of playing the test tones for 5.1 speakers to see if they are hooked up correctly. I was playing Far Cry and a lot of the sound was coming out of the rear speakers. Thinking I got the front and rear channels mixed up, I played a song on foobar to see if it was the case. Music came out of the front channels. Oh well, must be Far Cry's music engine that is different than most games I play. Very little comes out of the center channel in this game apparently. Whatever. Distroyed, you are not alone in your problem. Everything else works fine. I guess it's no big deal. I just want to say that Creative and E-MU are probably pulling a Homer Simpson, D'OH!!!

Aug 28, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 14
You can test out your speaker setup with Creative\SBAudigy2\Calibrator\SpkrCal.exe. That one still works for me. The only thing that I cant figure out a way to do is mute all but digital outs (which can normally be found in the now-inaccessible "Speaker Settings" program).

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the tip. Now if I only had that module installed
tongue.gif
No big deal though, everything else works fine for me. Maybe you can e-mail Creative or E-MU about the digital problem. Creative was pretty helpful last time I needed help, WAY back when dinosaurs roamed the planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back