EMU 0202 USB - High CPU utilization
Apr 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kamaurul

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

New EMU 0202 USB owner here, just received mine yesterday.

Anyway, my laptop is a Celeron M 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM, with WinXP SP2. The Windows Task Manager shows CPU utilization hovering around 16% when playing FLAC/MP3s in foobar/xmplay. Versus only 4% when using the onboard sound card (Conexant AC-Link Audio). There was no difference in CPU utilization between ASIO and DirectSound.

So, is this normal? I can't recall the figure being this high when using the iBasso D1 a few months ago.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamaurul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

Anyway, my laptop is a Celeron M 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM, with WinXP SP2. The Windows Task Manager shows CPU utilization hovering around 16% when playing FLAC/MP3s in foobar/xmplay. Versus only 4% when using the onboard sound card (Conexant AC-Link Audio). There was no difference in CPU utilization between ASIO and DirectSound.

So, is this normal? I can't recall the figure being this high when using the iBasso D1 a few months ago.

As the data goes through CPU twice in your case (FLAC/mp3 decoding + stream to USB audio interface) it's possible that such processor you have there becomes taxed more than what you see w/ onboard sound (only decoding is done by CPU). You could try by
- increasing the playback latency buffers,
- setting the system Performance for programs (it's propably defaulted for background services)
- rise the PCI latency for USB controller (PCI Latency Tool, try values between 128-256) (also if you see high values there (graphics system, just lower it to 32-64).

There are some tweaks @ http://www.musicxp.net/ you could try.

IIRC, the M processor is quite good for over-clocking ... you could also try to rise the speed for it (but be careful there... search the web for some instructions).

BTW, try if the BeatPort player linked in my sig, gives other results (ASIO).

jiitee

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamaurul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

Sounds right to me.

Any USB audio device is going to eat up cpu time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back