EMU 0202 USB causing computer to reboot.
Mar 27, 2008 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Scottyyy

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Need a little help here. Just installed the EMU 0202 I received today. Installation went fine, and the sound was working OK. But at random times, the computer will just reboot itself. I know it's the EMU because it hasn't rebooted since I unplugged it.

I think the unit may be faulty though, as sometimes getting it to turn on will take ages. I need to replug the USB cable, and turn the power on and off about 5 times before it will boot up. 4 times out of five the power LED will just flicker and the message "USB Device not recognised" will appear on the computer. When I eventually get it to stay on, half the time I get the "This device will perform faster if connected to a USB 2.0 port" error, so I need to turn it off and on again.

I've tried both the latest and CD drivers. I've had better luck with the old drivers off the CD so far though. My operating system is Windows XP Pro SP2. If you need any more info just ask.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I'm thinking faulty unit at this point.

Thanks

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 22
Might be driver conflict/windows issue, troubleshooting this kind of problem is easy especially since you have an USB/portable unit: take it to another computer and try it there. Same problem = faulty unit; No problem = something wrong with your computer.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 22
Well I just installed it on my sister's Mac using the Mac drives from the emu site. Still couldn't get it to turn on every time, but the laptop didn't reboot. Still, I'm worried about the powering on problem.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 22
Well I installed Vista. Now I can't even get the thing on. No matter what I try the LED just blinks and I get the "USB Device not recognised" error. How lovely.

One time when I tried to turn it on, it just started going on and off really fast. I'm guessing it was catching up with itself from the amount of times I've turned it on/off, or something like that.

I think it's safe to say it's faulty.
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 22
This is strange. It just started working.

I've turned it off and back on, restarted the computer and everything. It's working fine, as it should be.
confused.gif

This thing is hurting my brain.
frown.gif

I'm going to wait until it starts acting up again before contacting EMU.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 22
Just curious, did you scrupulously follow the directions as to when to connect and/or power up the 0202 USB in the whole installation process?

There is a note at some point that power cycling the unit too rapidly might hurt its brain for a while, too.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, did you scrupulously follow the directions as to when to connect and/or power up the 0202 USB in the whole installation process?

There is a note at some point that power cycling the unit too rapidly might hurt its brain for a while, too.

I tried every method I could think of (including the manuals), with 5 minute breaks before trying to next method. I didn't turn it on/off rapidly too much. I didn't really do anything to get it working either. I just turned it on, about 1 minute after trying earlier.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 22
What I would suggest doing is making sure that you power down the 0202 before you shut down PC to which it's attached, and wait until the PC is completely booted up before turning it on again the next time you cycle the computer.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 22
The new firmware doesn't work for me at all. I have had to revert back to 5.02 and my 0202 turns on everytime I turn the damn switch now.

You can download the old firmware here:

EMU 5.02 firmware.zip

Simply run updater.exe (yea right :p). One problem though is that you will still need to get the thing to turn on successfully before updater.exe can recognise the device and do its magic.

Note: I have simply used an extraction tool to separate the drivers from the firmware resulting in a very small download (3 mb). The file supplied above is in no way malicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back