Empyrean 2 vs Atrium Open + HD800s (Advice Needed)

Which headphones should I get?

• Total voters
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

YourToilet123

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I am deciding between the Empy 2 or the combination of the Atriums + HD800s. I was wondering which is a better all-rounder set for vocals, instrumentals, movies, gaming, video-editing, pop, rock, etc.

Though I listen to a lot acoustic, orchestral, vocal focused songs, kpop and jpop, EDM, and love to watch action movies with a lot of practical effects and play a lot of atmospheric single player games.

My sources are
Feliks Euforia AE --> Topping DX9.

Let me know!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 6
Based on where I live, unfortunately there isn't an audio store close by for me to try any high-end headphones out :frowning2: So I'm trying to go off other peoples perspectives and reviews.

The headphones I've tried so far are Superlux HD688B, M50x, Philips SHP9500, Philips X2HR, DT 1770 Pro, LCD 2 (Fazor), Audeze Maxwell. So far out of all of these, the LCD 2 Fazor edition with my old 789 AMP was my favourite. I also loved the V shape sound of the Maxwell Immersive preset.

If I were to only have 1 headphone, I want something in the middle that can be played across all genres.

I typically look for something that doesn't sound too harsh in the treble, has really good mid-range and detail, while being relaxing enough to not sound fatiguing to my ears. I also prefer if soundstage is expansive for the instruments while the vocals stay sort of intimate. I also prefer if the bass is not too overpowering but I like a bit of punch. I prefer more of fun rather than a reference sounding headphone.

My friend was kind enough to sell me his used euforia ae and his dx9. And I heard these 3 headphones suit really well for them.

The reason why I am interested in the Empy 2 is because of its overall design, build quality, cabling and it looks to be more comfortable aswell. The black and silver look matches my setup and it is machined so well and really appreciate the amount of engineering put into these. The intricacies of the cup and the carbon fibre headband makes me really happy. As for the sound, I heard that it is a really fun, warm, lush headphone while having the details still there.

I am also interested on the Atriums for the same reason. I love the gorgeous wood design and how it'll be unique for every customer and how it is one of the best headphones for mid-range and it'll only excel when using tubes. With its warm and punchy sound signature, I thought it'll be a great compliment to the HD800s.

I've been interested on the HD800/s ever since I was a kid. I've always dreamed of owning one. So it kind of has a sort of achievement or sentimental value to me. I heard that the soundstage is one of the biggest out of everything and the transient response is on another level. I heard that they also benefit a lot from tubes and I'll be mostly these for gaming, classical, jazz, and orchestral pieces, maybe even video editing while the Atriums are for the rest.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 6
I think just getting the Atrium would be good enough. Feel free to grab a set of HD 800S if you want to though.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 6
With your Feliks I would think the Atrium and 800S (or the cheaper 8XX with sticker mod) would be the way to go. Both of those headphones on a tube amp are a dream, whereas the Empy II (which I haven’t heard) I imagine wouldn’t care about source as much, and might not get along with the Euforia so well, having both low impedance and relatively low sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back