emotiva ta-100 as headphone amp?
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 5
My guess is that it will do just a mediocre job as a HP amp. Most preamps and receivers have weak headphone circuits but there are some exceptions I'm sure. I happen to have the Emotiva Bas-X A-100 amp that works very well as a headphone amp because the jack is tied directly into the main 50W amplifiers. It has resistors to reduce the output power but you can install jumpers that essentially bypasses the resistors and feeds the entire 50 watts (at 8 ohms of course) into your cans. No need to in most cases though. Even shunted I believe the HP output is around 2 watts at 16 ohms. It has no tone controls though.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 5
My guess is that it will do just a mediocre job as a HP amp. Most preamps and receivers have weak headphone circuits but there are some exceptions I'm sure. I happen to have the Emotiva Bas-X A-100 amp that works very well as a headphone amp because the jack is tied directly into the main 50W amplifiers. It has resistors to reduce the output power but you can install jumpers that essentially bypasses the resistors and feeds the entire 50 watts (at 8 ohms of course) into your cans. No need to in most cases though. Even shunted I believe the HP output is around 2 watts at 16 ohms. It has no tone controls though.
I also have my eye on the a-100. I have a local radio station I love that does not stream. You are probably right about it being a mediocre headphone amp. Thanks for the info

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 5
It's my understanding that as far as the A-100 goes. It just depends what headphones your driving and if they really need the power. Headphones such as the T50rp/various modded phones and HE-6 for example love this kind of power and really open them up to sound their best.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 5
It's my understanding that as far as the A-100 goes. It just depends what headphones your driving and if they really need the power. Headphones such as the T50rp/various modded phones and HE-6 for example love this kind of power and really open them up to sound their best.
I have the 6xxs . i may get the argons. I. Will keep the a-100 in mind. Thanks for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back