Emotiva GR-1 headphones
Dec 6, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #31 of 40
There are other reviews I've seen that are a lot more positive. The descriptions do sound a lot like the Phoenix. So either the driver is the same with a different coating or the cup shape/material affects the sound more than I realized. I'm guessing another big factor is how well these things fit on your head/ears just like with those headphones.

Here's one (scroll to bottom):
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/emotiva-gr-1-headphones/17478/45

Here's another:
https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/57942/gr-headphones

I see someone was gonna compare them to the 660ohm DT990 which is what I have now. Sadly they haven’t replied because I wouldn’t mind a change from my 990. Anyone tried them for gaming ?

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #32 of 40
I see someone was gonna compare them to the 660ohm DT990 which is what I have now. Sadly they haven’t replied because I wouldn’t mind a change from my 990. Anyone tried them for gaming ?

I don't think very many people will ever try them. I have a feeling this headphone will be on closeout 6 months to a year from now. If Emotiva had a real sale instead of their "emobucks" promotion I would have tried a pair.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #33 of 40
I don't think very many people will ever try them. I have a feeling this headphone will be on closeout 6 months to a year from now. If Emotiva had a real sale instead of their "emobucks" promotion I would have tried a pair.

im tempted tojust buy a pair but sadly there seems to be no UK retailer and to get it shipped to the UK from Emotiva costs like $90.... might just get the Hifiman sundara.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #34 of 40
im tempted tojust buy a pair but sadly there seems to be no UK retailer and to get it shipped to the UK from Emotiva costs like $90.... might just get the Hifiman sundara.
I have a pair on the way from Emotiva. Shipping was $62. The initial shipping charge shown on the website was $125 (same as for the Airmotiv B1+ I also have on the way) I queried this by email and they raised me an individual invoice with the reduced shipping charge within minutes. Customer service, despite being in the middle of a pandemic was superb. $62 might seem a lot, but if they were being sold by a UK retailer, they'd cost at least £350 - £400. All in, with shipping and duty (I'm expecting a bill from UPS for import duty & VAT), I expect they'll set me back ~£310. For the build quality alone, I don't mind paying that.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #35 of 40
I tried and returned these a few months ago. I'll give a quick summary. Heavier than average and the way the headphone sits makes it worse. The top headband could be infinitely smaller yet more effective. Ear cups don't extend quite far enough for a longer head to full reach ears. Cups being oval would also improve fit. I emailed them suggesting they let this be their sort of "premium" and create a pair with more lightweight sturdy plastic and maybe titanium where metal only will do for durability, while extending the reach and making the cups / pads oval. They had some of the best bass for open cans I've heard. They'd had flat, realistic mids, only a touch of a bump in the higher bass. Treble was extended, detailed and non fatiguing generally, with the exception of a spike somewhere in the mid treble that became bothersome. Lighter, better fit, no treble spike and I think these could be game changers and go-to for reference and even mixing audio. The sound stage was incredible, that'd really made me want to keep these despite the other flaws. A mix of spacious with key elements up front, and well located.

May 11, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #37 of 40
May 5, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #39 of 40
I have a guess that Airmotiv GR1 and Tripowin H1 have the same speakers.

Here is a description and specs of the speaker for H1:
50mm Dynamic driver with 3-layer Polymer Diaphragm
105 dB
Impedance: 32 Ohms
The Tripowin H1 utilizes 50mm dynamic driver made with a custom 3-layer carbon polymer diaphragm. Unlike conventional single layered diaphragms, the unique H1 diaphragm is composed of an integrated carbon network throughout each of the layers, strengthening the membrane and increasing the surface tension for a tighter and more responsive driver performance. Enhanced with an incredibly powerful magnetic design to match the stiff diaphragm, the driver produces a full sound that is rich and articulate across the entire frequency spectrum, masterfully achieving high fidelity resolution.

And GR1:
50 mm polycarbonate 3-layer drivers
Efficiency: 106 dB .
Impedance: 32 Ohms
Our Airmotiv GR1 headphones use a newly developed high-tech diaphragm consisting of a very thin polycarbonate membrane with a specially applied and deposited graphene lattice layer fused to both sides of it. The result is the ideal combination of low mass, controlled stiffness, and improved damping. This diaphragm, along with our low moving mass motor assembly, operates in a carefully designed magnetic system, delivering exceptional clarity, linearity, and low distortion.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #40 of 40
I was going to sell my GR1's because they are too bass heavy. But when I applied some EQ, they turned into awesome headphones. I have a nice preset in JRiver for them now and same with portable Media Monkey. Glad I didn't sell them. They are beautiful and easy to drive with portable as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back