Emotiva BasX A2m Flex Speaker + Headphone Amp
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #76 of 80
Q1. I have my amp plugged into a power strip. But there is a switch on the back of the amp to put it in "stand by" mode, which is basically off. If you put it in stand by mode, it turns the amp off in 5 minutes with no music source. So I either flip the switch to stand by mode and wait for it to turn itself off or hit the power off switch on the power strip and then it turns off. Always turn the amp off first before preamp and sources. And turn the amp on last. And I always unplug my cans before turning the amp off to avoid any issues.
Q2. I leave the amp on fixed gain. Which is the other switch on back of amp. I did not like the free spinning volume knob, so I use a preamp to control all volumes as it has a hard stop. I didn't trust the free spinning knob.
Q3. Sorry, not sure. I don't really know what to look for. I took case off once to install the jumper to put it in direct drive mode, but that's it.
Thanks a ton for this ! I think I'll solve my worries from spikes & surge by introducing a switch for my cans: a switch, as I've worn out more than a handful of jacks over many years - although the one in this amp should be an easy R&R. Now to rummage about my eqmpt bin for a suitable preamp . . . . .

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #77 of 80
Something with this much power connected to headphones, it's wise to be careful. My routine with the amp:

1) Plug it in and power it on with no headphones connected.
2) Play audio to take it out of any sleep mode
3) Spin the volume knob counterclockwise manymanymany times to make sure volume is at 0
4) Connect headphones
5) Slowly dial up volume to preference

The free-spinning electronic volume knob is easily my biggest gripe with the amp, but also one of very few gripes, so I can't complain too much. But if Emotiva are here, I'd happily pay, I don't know, $50 more for a version with a proper volume pot.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #78 of 80
Something with this much power connected to headphones, it's wise to be careful. My routine with the amp:

3) Spin the volume knob counterclockwise manymanymany times to make sure volume is at 0
4) Connect headphones

The free-spinning electronic volume knob is easily my biggest gripe with the amp, but also one of very few gripes, so I can't complain too much. But if Emotiva are here, I'd happily pay, I don't know, $50 more for a version with a proper volume pot.
Yea. That's my only gripe as well. Other than that, this is a stellar amp for the $. Hard to find a better integrated in this price range

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #79 of 80

4) Connect headphones

Your regimen is EXACTLY what I figured I'll need to do with this amp. I've heard so much about how well it winds up the HE6se that I'm gonna make it my personal Christmas gift ! From my electronics/audio background, I think I understand why Emotiva made their design moves, which are fine for powering up loudspeakers . . . . but, in that case, it would deserve a remote.
I'm hip to the "manymanymany".

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #80 of 80
I just got my a2m yesterday, and it does, indeed, make my HE6se's very happy! After tasking it for only an hour, or so, I'm pretty "WOW".
However, I immediately ran into a lurking deal-breaker: volume control. I switch from FM to Qobuz to France Musique to my music library, and the jumps in volume are unacceptable. I have NO idea where the absolute vol level is set at any time, no means if indexing, and no means of quickly knowing how many multiple turns of the spinning knob I must make to avoid hearing damage. I'm soliciting ideas, but please don't hit me with "you need to get a preamp", because that ain't an option.

Thanks, guys folks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back