the following songs make me want to die they're so good:

final fantasy iv: grand piano collections
track 1 - "prelude"
track 2 - "theme of love"

nine inch nails - the downward spiral
track 10 - "a warm place"

sigur ros - agaetis byrjun
tracks 1 & 2 - "intro" & "svefn-g-englar"

the latter run together and have icelandic lyrics, so as far as i know they are instrumentals.

vertigo-1: i was so upset when i was playing ff7 and finished disc 2..
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 38
Pretty much anything by Joe Satriani

of note:

Always with me, Always with you (surfing with the alien)
eek.gif

Raspberry Jam Delta V (Crystal Planet)
biggrin.gif

Ceremony (Crystal Planet)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Engines of Creation (Engines of Creation)
smily_headphones1.gif

Rubina'a Blue Sky Happieness (The Extremist)
cool.gif

the list goes on and on and on.

I mean. He does have something like 15 CD's out.
------------------------------------------------------------

If you want some wav files I'd be glad to hook anyone up. Just email me - NewportGeek@hotmail.com

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 38
grinch and vertigo-1: i couldn't play the game for two months after the second disc. people i knew said i became noticably moodier. for the first time in my life, i took a personal grudge with a video game company...
mad.gif
frown.gif

tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

I have a friend whose band covers this song with a cello, a violin, synthesizer, and just a wee bit of guitar. Gorgeous! Quote:

sigur ros - agaetis byrjun
tracks 1 & 2 - "intro" & "svefn-g-englar"

the latter run together and have icelandic lyrics, so as far as i know they are instrumentals.

Actually, they're not even Icelandic -- the singer sings in some non-sensical language that he made up (although it is largely made up of Icelandic). New album coming out 10/28! ('()', otherwise known as Koala Emoticon.)

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
grinch and vertigo-1: i couldn't play the game for two months after the second disc. people i knew said i became noticably moodier. for the first time in my life, i took a personal grudge with a video game company...
mad.gif
frown.gif

tongue.gif

I think that moment actually went down as one of the biggest controversies ever in video game history, if not the biggest. As in, "WHY?!?!?" I tend to think that if a video game company can evoke emotions out of a human player through just a couple of onscreen pixels, then they've succeeded tremendously and done their job damn well.

Anyways, I'm convinced...I've got those Final Fantasy 4 stuff on my "to buy next time I'm in Tower Records" list.
tongue.gif
Do I read three different FF4 albums up there? Celtic Moon, Piano collection, and the original FF4 album? Could get expensive.
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

Do I read three different FF4 albums up there? Celtic Moon, Piano collection, and the original FF4 album? Could get expensive.

Yes, but it will be money well spent. FFIV was my personal favorite of them all, music and otherwise. I've got two of the three, guess I also need to get the Piano collection.

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #23 of 38
dhwilkin & vertigo-1, definitely try to get ur hands on the piano collection. if u like solo piano stuff, u will love this stuff. more piano stuff that has awesome emotion without words is the volume 2 of claudio arrau's final sessions on philips. he plays debussy with such grace and meditation... the "clair de lune" on this album is the absolute best i've ever heard, and i've heard a lot...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I have a friend whose band covers this song with a cello, a violin, synthesizer, and just a wee bit of guitar. Gorgeous!

pleeeeeaaaaase send me an mp3 of this! grinch@fitterhappier.com !

Quote:

Actually, they're not even Icelandic -- the singer sings in some non-sensical language that he made up (although it is largely made up of Icelandic). New album coming out 10/28! ('()', otherwise known as Koala Emoticon.)

funky. their earlier albums were released only in iceland under an icelandic label so i just assumed. thanks for the info and i can't wait for the new album either!

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
anything by Earth or Sunn 0))).

If you enjoy Sunn O))), do yourself a favor and get yourself some Electric Wizard, preferably "Dopethrone"... it evokes emotions, all right, but not pleasant ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

myke, Quote:

Anything by Arvo Part- especially Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten. Also Stravinsky's Duo Concertant (for violin and Piano)- the first movement: Dithryrambe. Another one is Samuel Barber's Adagio for String. And Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but are these recordings easily available in record stores? I'm a complete classical-music ignoramus and I know almost nothing about it, so I don't know what is easy/hard to find.

grinch, Quote:

Though I absolutely love NIN (first band I ever got into... despite me having "moved on" musically in many ways, I still adore Trent as much as I did when I first saw "Closer" on MTV..), "A Warm Place" is a nearly-identical ripoff of ... uh, a different track which escapes me at the moment.
confused.gif
I wish I could remember what it was, but upon hearing it, I was shocked - the resemblance is eerie.

penzvila, Quote:

For me it is Autechre's Netlon Sentinel.

Are you sure this is an Autechre track? It doesn't sound familiar at all, nor does it look like a trackname Autechre would use. Unless it's from Incunabula which I never listen to... just checked and no it's not. I'm 99% positive this is not an Autechre track.

Anyhoo, to contribute to the thread, I'd say about 9/10ths of the music I listen to is "emotional music without lyrics" so I don't know where to start.
smily_headphones1.gif
Perhaps Godspeed You Black Emperor's "Moya," Autechre's "VLetrmx21," Datacide's "Flowerhead," Boards of Canada's "Hi Scores" (the whole record), ... and, oh, of course, how could I forget? Everything Global Communication ever released.

While I may not be a headphone-collecting audiophile, I sure am a trainspotter.
very_evil_smiley.gif

- Chris

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Are you sure this is an Autechre track? It doesn't sound familiar at all, nor does it look like a trackname Autechre would use. Unless it's from Incunabula which I never listen to... just checked and no it's not. I'm 99% positive this is not an Autechre track.

it is an autechre track, it's on ep7.

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #28 of 38
While i don't own one, and don't especially care for it, There's no denying that the Playstation had a significant impact on the world of Videogame music. Yes, i'm a hardcore videogame music fan. I have every OC remix ever posted on the site, and have aquired many soundtracks, mainly from square games. While the final fantasy music is often beautful, IMO, aeris's theme being one of the best, by far the most neglected game for music is legend of mana. It was a sleeper hit among some people, and i was lucky enough to have come across it. There's just so much stuff on this soundtrack that i love. Songs 13 and 14 on disk one, and songs 25 and 27 on disk two especially. They just get a certain emotion out of me that i haven't quite gotten from any other music. Granted, i'm not so hardcore that i live under the tent of "VG music ownz j00! all other music sux0rz!", but i think this is very often an underappreaceated source of music with some real gems.

If anyone wants some, i use the AIM of EbonyksDBZ

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

funky. their earlier albums were released only in iceland under an icelandic label so i just assumed. thanks for the info and i can't wait for the new album either!

I think you may have misunderstood Dusty. As far as I know, Sigur Ros ARE from Iceland, but as Dusty pointed out, the vocalist sings in his own "language" which is based loosely on Icelandic. So, in this sense, his lyrics are more"vocalisms" or if you will, an additional instrument in their own right.

Great call on Sigur Ros anyways - that album really moves me every time I listen to it
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait for the newy - thanks for the heads-up Dusty
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #30 of 38
I take it penzvila, that you dont listen to classical music? Maybe then you might hear true emotion in music. I suggest listening to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back