Emmeline XP7 with rechargeables?
Dec 4, 2003 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fafner

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying some high capacity Ansmann (250 maH) NiMh 9v batteries. In fact these are 8.2V batteries (Plainviews aren't available in Switzerland, ordering batteries from USA would require shipping taxes higher than the product's prices...). Does someone know these batteries?
What I would know is if the sound quality will be slightly affected by some lower voltage. I really don't care if rechargeables would give me 29 hours instead of the 40 or more I would get with alkaline ones. The XP7 is supposed to give exactly the same sound quality with voltages as low as 4.5v, right?

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 7
why won't you contact ray about this?

Dec 4, 2003 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Because some time ago he had said that he hadn't tested it with rechargeables...but I'm sure some members here have tried it.
biggrin.gif

Still, I'll try to ask him too...

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 7
I tested the XP-7 with the Walmart rechargables(I have no idea who makes these) and the Costco brand rechargables and they both lasted less than 27 hours. The last set of Ray-O-Vac 9v I used lasted for 44 hours. I have seen no change in sound quality with any battery I have used and the XP-7 never turns off during use when the batteries are low,it just refused to power up when they were near death. I tested the the batteries the last time they went dead and they were all the way down to 4.7 volts.

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 7
I tested the XP-7 with the Walmart rechargables(I have no idea who makes these) and the Costco brand rechargables and they both lasted less than 27 hours. The last set of Ray-O-Vac 9v I used lasted for 44 hours. I have seen no change in sound quality with any battery I have used and the XP-7 never turns off during use when the batteries are low,it just refused to power up when they were near death. I tested the batteries the last time they went dead and they were all the way down to 4.7 volts.

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 7
it's odd.. i am using tyson 9.6 v 2000 mAh batteries and when they fail the amp gets quieter and distorts. It seems like for everyone else it just turns off? I guess I should try some alkalines and see how they do.

Dec 5, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Ray confirmed it...the sound with rechargeable batteries is identical to the sound with alkalines. The only "problem" you have with rechargeables is a shorter battery life. Not much a problem for me...27 hours are still a good value, and as I'm going to buy 4 batteries...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back